Finally got another one

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
the first big modification I plan to make to it, after getting it all going, before the turbo is a ZF5. That should help out a good bit too. I know the C6 in all the gasser's ive ever had sucks ALOT of power.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
For towing I would change the t-stat, put new coolant in it and make sure the fan clutch engages at the right time. Also since the tranny is an auto I would also get a good tranny cooler with a termoswitch (sp?) so You don't have to worry about the fluid burning up on You far from home.
My .02c

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
So i went to the j-yard today and found everything I needed. I'm going to try to talk them down a little on the ZF5 but I can get everything needed for the swap for $750.

Also, im 99% sure I found exactly what I need for the turbo swap. He told me if I pull it all off, its mine for $150
You must be registered for see images attach

comments?

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Just spoke with them a little more. Im giving them my C6 transmission for a $150 credit. So for $600 I will get a ZF5, pedal assembly, hydraulics and flywheel (if they have one). Parts are already pulled. Then I will go out and pull that turbo setup off of that 93 F350, and thats $150.

How many little odds and ends will be involved with the turbo setup? I need to search a little bit more before I start looking for information handouts, but I havent found anything detailed yet.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
im trying to keep this truck cheap. Is that turbo setup on there good? I can just build a new downpipe can I not?

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm going to have to do for mine. I have heard a lot of people say that they have used 3" flex pipe to make their down pipes.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
That's what I'm going to have to do for mine. I have heard a lot of people say that they have used 3" flex pipe to make their down pipes.

If you couldnt tell by the picture of my crawler, I have my own fab-shop. I have no issue bending/welding together a new downpipe.

So as of right now I guess I will pull that entire turbo setup, can anybody give me a list or pictures or article of some sort of everything I will need to take from it? Build new downpipe and 3" single exhaust all the way back. Swap IP from my 7.3 IDI in, and the ZF-5. With this setup I should have no issues towing my 5-6k trailer/crawler/gear. Correct?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
im trying to keep this truck cheap. Is that turbo setup on there good? I can just build a new downpipe can I not?

For the price you cannot beat it. The Factory turbo was rated at 190hp(i call B.S.) you can easely get 250 just by turning the screw on the pump, but you will want a pyro if you start turning screws

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you couldnt tell by the picture of my crawler, I have my own fab-shop. I have no issue bending/welding together a new downpipe.

So as of right now I guess I will pull that entire turbo setup, can anybody give me a list or pictures or article of some sort of everything I will need to take from it? Build new downpipe and 3" single exhaust all the way back. Swap IP from my 7.3 IDI in, and the ZF-5. With this setup I should have no issues towing my 5-6k trailer/crawler/gear. Correct?

Cool, can I come visit, just kidding.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
For the factory setup, you need all the obvious parts, turbo, up pipe, crossover pipe, intake horn, filter box, oil line, ect. but if you want to keep the CDR then you need the drivers side valve cover, and rememeber to save the two bolts that hole the pedosile to the intake manifold, they're longer. O and chect the glow plug harness, it might be differn't because they moved the controller to get it away from the turbo. I have one and I like it.

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 84, 6.9,4spd.....I bought it with 120-130k on it. I put it to work hotshotting pulling a 40' gooseneck weighing empty at 8k and would load upto 15k on it.
No you wont break any speed records, wind drag will be your worst enemy towing the rock crawler. I would guess expect around 60-65 mph against a head wind
I ran that truck upto around 440k before getting rid of it.
I never turbo'd the truck, ran too good to mess with. Alot easier and cheaper to alot extra travel time for me.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
For the factory setup, you need all the obvious parts, turbo, up pipe, crossover pipe, intake horn, filter box, oil line, ect. but if you want to keep the CDR then you need the drivers side valve cover, and rememeber to save the two bolts that hole the pedosile to the intake manifold, they're longer. O and chect the glow plug harness, it might be differn't because they moved the controller to get it away from the turbo. I have one and I like it.

what is the CDR? and what is the pedosile?

Once I take all of the turbo stuff off, this motor should look just about how mine does now, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle