Draining ALL the oil from block, not just the pan?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll do it tomorrow. Yep on on the oil plug hole rodding, did it once, help the gunk to come out better, will do that again a few more times after diesel sits in pan. Yep on the oil swap, 2 or 3 times after a short amount of time driving it, thats if I can get it running. Still a little blown away, that it would run at all after the water. I still worry about the cylinders, rings, pistons being rusted together. I havent finished removing the GP's, really a PITA to get to the GP's in the front of the motor behind the A/C compressor and behind the alternator with all the other stuff in the way. I'll try a 3/8" ratchet, a wobbly and a deep socket and git er done. Will get after it again tomorrow, wish me luck ;)

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
Honestly, just bar it over. Either it will move or it won't. If you can rotate it through a full cycle, put the GPs back and crank it for like 30 seconds with the starter. Then try to actually start it.

I'm thinking there's a good chance you actually didn't get any water through the cylinders, just down the back of the motor. In which case, the cylinders are clear and fine.

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
Honestly, just bar it over. Either it will move or it won't. If you can rotate it through a full cycle, put the GPs back and crank it for like 30 seconds with the starter. Then try to actually start it.

I'm thinking there's a good chance you actually didn't get any water through the cylinders, just down the back of the motor. In which case, the cylinders are clear and fine.
I'm tracking with you, this may be the issue so, P.B the cylinders, do as you suggested and see if I can fire it up.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Just don't push it too far or hard. The end of the oil pump pick up tube is very close to the bottom of the pan right above the drain plug
Ditto^^^

Then, perhaps put the drain plug back in, pour a quart of diesel in the oil fill, and wait for a few minutes, then drain again.

At that point, well, just fill with oil and get it running.
I'd probably plan on changing the oil again after some driving(say a couple hundred miles), sooner depending on how it looks. If it ever looks milky, change it.

I have just for the heck of it in the past poured 1-2 gal of diesel thru the oil fill, with the pan plug in, let it set a few min, then drain. However in my world I never waste anything, so I just poured that 1-2 gal of clean/discolored diesel back into my fuel tank.

But do not EVER do this with gas!!! Was helping a friend once on his IDI with LOTS of mi on his oil change & very nasty. I told him to pour 2 gal diesel thru it, let stand 30min or so, then drain. I ran to NAPA & left him. He decided to use gas instead: Diesel good, GAS be better!!

He drained gas from pan & filled up with oil by time I got back. All was good I thought, even tho I smelled gas I never thought anything about it. We had been washing some other things up with gas.

We cranked it over and a big medium sized KER-BOOM.....smoke & vapor came out of everything! Didn't break anything or tear anything up. But I couldn't figure out what had happened. Thought had blown up engine & had scared heck out'a me!!! Finally he said he had used gas. Then I understood! LOL LOL

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
Ditto^^^

I have just for the heck of it in the past poured 1-2 gal of diesel thru the oil fill, with the pan plug in, let it set a few min, then drain. However in my world I never waste anything, so I just poured that 1-2 gal of clean/discolored diesel back into my fuel tank.

But do not EVER do this with gas!!! Was helping a friend once on his IDI with LOTS of mi on his oil change & very nasty. I told him to pour 2 gal diesel thru it, let stand 30min or so, then drain. I ran to NAPA & left him. He decided to use gas instead: Diesel good, GAS be better!!

He drained gas from pan & filled up with oil by time I got back. All was good I thought, even tho I smelled gas I never thought anything about it. We had been washing some other things up with gas.

We cranked it over and a big medium sized KER-BOOM.....smoke & vapor came out of everything! Didn't break anything or tear anything up. But I couldn't figure out what had happened. Thought had blown up engine & had scared heck out'a me!!! Finally he said he had used gas. Then I understood! LOL LOL
Nope. Your kidding. You can lead a horse to water but....
Kerboom, lol. Glad nothing mechanically permenently broke but some pride, maybe. Thanks, TTMAN4, for the additional support on the "add diesel fuel to engine filler neck for oil pan sludge clean out" suggestion. Im glad you backed up IDIBronco on this for me, knowing that two others, at least, have done this before I do, makes me feel better about doing this.

Last edited:

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
I don't think that was me, but I do agree with it :)
DrCharles,

No it wasn't you, sorry. It was late last night when I was reading/responding to the post and was exhausted. I amended my response to reflect that it was TTMAN4 that I was referring too.

I do appreciate you agreeing with adding diesel fuel to oil pan to flush out old oil/soot/sludge, etc. I will be adding a couple quarts to the oil filler neck on top of the engine.

Hopefully, after it sits up awhile today with the drain plug back in, what comes out the oil pan drain plug when I remove it and drain, will clear up the left over "GUNK" in the pan from the rain/clear water that accumulated there from whatever source/reason.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online