Block Heater & Oil Pan adhesive heater to bypass glow plugs?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baxter, yeah you could use the 6.9 Relay, an wire it manual like the 6.9.
Actually, the Relay on the 7.3 Controller, is the exact same relay.

Goat

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hesitate to go full on block heater/no glowplug power to start the thing because it doesn't really get that cold where I live, just thought then I don't have to deal with replacing the gp parts every year or two ...

...what is a self limiting plug? I installed a button on my older '85 6.9, works great ... could I use a 6.9 relay (only the solenoid without the controller attached) and hook up my '93 7.3 the same exact way?

Ya know I have always ran the motorcraft plugs but only used the Napa or Oreilly brand relay/controllers ... do you really think that could be the problem? they have a lifetime warranty, so I have gotten them replaced for no charge a couple times.
You shouldn't have to replace parts every year or two.

Self limiting plug would be a acdelco 60g, or one of the interchange options. It needs ground/machined to work in our engine, but it doesn't overheat or swell. Which means it works great for manual button operation.

A bosch 80034 is supposedly one that is also self limiting and works in our engines without modification.

You can use your current controller/solenoid as is. https://www.oilburners.net/threads/manual-glow-plug-switch.89145/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.