Did a coolant flush! EWWW

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appluad anyone who can properly collect and recycle antifreeze. :hail Or really any other fluid I guess. Unfortunately for me, and I guess for the ground, I'm not one of them. And I DO drink the water directly under me. I haven't had it tested in a while, but when I did, it was in pretty good shape, except for the chemicals that got into it from the farmers pesticide operations. When I do a cooling system, I usually drain what I can out of the rad, and that does end up in a 55 gallon drum that is slowly filling with antifreeze. Unfortunately, because none of my block drains come out, I have to "push" the old coolant out with water, and that becomes a multi dozen gallon operation. If I tried to catch all that waste, I wouldn't be able to handle the volume.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know in the city where I live, I spoke to a mechanic that has a small garage. He contaced the city/waste water management department. He was told to pour the coolant down the drain. They said not much more that a few gallons a day, so if you were to drain 1 vehicle a day I believe it would be ok there. They said the WW Plant can handle small amounts, but not to flood the system with it. So I collect as much as I can in a pan and it goes down the drain, and the flush goes down the floor drain..... so I guess it just depends on where you live...... and I think in the 10+ years I have been in my current house, if I have had 10 gallons go down the drain I would be surprised....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll I used to do it the wrong way all the time. Worked in a shop who had me dump waste oil out in the corner of the property...was 16 didn't care...just liked workin in a speed shop.

That being said...I collect all fluids at home and work as best I can...Again NOT perfect...no not close...I mean I spill...I do however endeavor to do the best I can...

As for ground filtering ya I know it does a good job...regardless...my lifestyle has changed and as such so has my practices...Good on ya Agnem for collecting....try wall mart or some place like that they may take some old Anti Freez and oil..they do here locally...most shops take small amounts couple to three 1 gallon jugs usually.

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should always try to gather your oils, our enviroment is pretty f@#$%& up, we should do all we can to help the future of our earth, with that being said theres places where theres nowhere to recycle fluid, and ppl there have to figure out what to do with all their fluids. Riotwarrior i live about 45min N of you and have dug up 3 old auto recyclers becuase of contamination...i wonder what they do with the dirt???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online