Did a coolant flush! EWWW

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would tell me two things:

1. You should definitely check your coolant SCAs
2. You should think about a coolant filter

That coolant looks pretty terrible, but a radiator getting crusty can make the fluid look worse than it is.

Just my .02, good luck.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well when I got the truck all it had in it was water, because it had a leaky water pump. I filled it up with Prestone flush (2 Bottles) and ran it a bit and this is what I got when I flushed it. I think I should do it again?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would flush it over and over until the water was clean, even if it was just flushing with just water. That being said, everything I've read about coolant filters make me feel like they should be on every vehicle I own, and might be the only solution to positively removing funk circulating in your coolant system. Everybody I know who installs one says you go through the first filter or two in a hurry (like a week, then a month) and then never again, which is a good feeling.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
when i flushed my 89 it was exactly like this, you should have seen the coolant i took out:puke::puke:, but just keep flushing till it comes clean, then flush some moreLOL and then fix that leak add coolant and distilled water only and be sure to use plenty of the DCA or SCA whatever its called

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
The water pump was replaced already. This is only water/ Flush no antifreeze in the system so no worries about contaminating the soil. I flushed it till it was clear. I think I will do the whole process again, before I add my 4 gallons of fleetcharge and 4 gallons of distilled.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The best idea hasn't been talked about here. Thats the block drains on each side of the block. Change those for the Oky-****** block drains. These are the same wing nut type drains as found on the radiators. Then you can get all the crappy water out of the motor along with the dirt... Otherwise it stays in the block and wont come out..... No matter how much clean water is flushed thru it. Be careful on the starter side of the block... Your wrench will be real close to the bare starter lead from both batteries... Thats around 2000 amps just waiting to burn the ring on your finger or the wrench in your hand... And the worst part is the hot melted parts of the wrench fall down on top of you... True.... Gravity really does suck things to the ground....:sly

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imma have to give this a shot. Anyone know of a good coolant filter and where to get un'?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa part numbers are 4071---4074 depending on Additive level needed. 407 is one long ***** though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best idea hasn't been talked about here.....:sly

Getting those plugs out is just a dream for some of us. :rolleyes: The old 6.9's had iron plugs that by now are petrified and require an act of God to get out. Most of mine are just rounded stubs from failed attempts using every tool known to man.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... This is only water/ Flush no antifreeze in the system so no worries about contaminating the soil. I flushed it till it was clear. I think I will do the whole process again, before I add my 4 gallons of fleetcharge and 4 gallons of distilled.

So your saying a chemical flush agent was in that brown goo? Then it should be reclaimed. Nuff said

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the block drains on the 6.9 while I have it out. They were brass on the
86. There are now Okie-****** drains in the block now.;Sweet

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member