Did a coolant flush! EWWW

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
most of that is probubly little specs of rust from the system. i need to do this on my Ford (tractor:D) to.

it keeps getting hot, slowly but surely the rad cant keep up and its been getting a little worse over the years. if that dousent work i might try my hand at rodding one out. got nothing to loose and all to gain:sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your saying a chemical flush agent was in that brown goo? Then it should be reclaimed. Nuff said
if the stuff is going into the dirt, it's no issue. the flush is a alkaline agent and the rust is little issue either.
if it is going onto pavement and down the gutter where animals can drink the water, that's a whole other issue.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the stuff is going into the dirt, it's no issue. the flush is a alkaline agent and the rust is little issue either.
if it is going onto pavement and down the gutter where animals can drink the water, that's a whole other issue.

Ok not to rant on this but........I process a lot of vehicles on land aka dirt. I do everything I can to reclaim as much coolant and oil and fuel and washer fluid and brake fluid and steering fluid etc.... as humanly possible. letting an alkaline solution leach into the ground is just contaminating ground water....

I am alwas working on improving methods and containment so processing will be cleaner yet.

Do I do it perfect NO I don't is there room to improve yes indeed. I do however do my best to contain what spills I have. Regardless if they are big or even a small one.

We can all do our best to reclaim old fluids and dispose of them in a safe and environmentally friendly way.

JM2CW

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
dont watch me on the job then. working out in the field on a blown hydro line is always fun.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any specific size/numbers on pet 'cook' ****** drain thing? I haven't done the swap yet but wouldn't mind getting the coolant from the block as well.

I process a lot of vehicles on land aka dirt. I do everything I can to reclaim

Not trying to get into an argument just wondering if by reclaim you mean you reuse it, or take it to the proper agency for them to make use of it? Alot of antifreeze is recycled or goes into landfills from what I read.

I try to recycle a bunch, but I hear the places that process that just burn/landfill the excess that they cannot process.. Alkaline is a mineral, we have a lake of it that ocurred naturally in Oregon. Dirt and sands a natural filter, I dont know if that flush junk is straight alkaline or what so I very well could be wrong

I'm all for helping the Earth in any way we can but its better to educate than just jump all over someones case. I'm always trying to learn more :eek:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any specific size/numbers on pet 'cook' ****** drain thing? I haven't done the swap yet but wouldn't mind getting the coolant from the block as well.

Not trying to get into an argument just wondering if by reclaim you mean you reuse it, or take it to the proper agency for them to make use of it? Alot of antifreeze is recycled or goes into landfills from what I read.

I try to recycle a bunch, but I hear the places that process that just burn/landfill the excess that they cannot process.. Alkaline is a mineral, we have a lake of it that ocurred naturally in Oregon. Dirt and sands a natural filter, I dont know if that flush junk is straight alkaline or what so I very well could be wrong

I'm all for helping the Earth in any way we can but its better to educate than just jump all over someones case. I'm always trying to learn more :eek:

The coolant gets settled...then filtered then that gets boiled and reduced to coolant and bottled and used for farm and other equipment.

No the stuff I remove is all handled professionally and the oil goes for recycled oil think walmart brand $1 a quart/liter.

Any spills are collected and placed into containment to be shipped once enough has been gathered and processed.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
News flash, when I called the local environmental authority a few years back to find out what to do with waste antifreeze, guess what I was told to do? You got it, dump the stuff in the ground! They just don't want it pooling up where animals can drink it straight. the ground is a great filter I guess.
Besides the kind of stuff I use in my vehicles now is all Propolene glycol based which is basically the same as movie popcorn butter

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok not to rant on this but........I process a lot of vehicles on land aka dirt. I do everything I can to reclaim as much coolant and oil and fuel and washer fluid and brake fluid and steering fluid etc.... as humanly possible. letting an alkaline solution leach into the ground is just contaminating ground water....

I am alwas working on improving methods and containment so processing will be cleaner yet.

Do I do it perfect NO I don't is there room to improve yes indeed. I do however do my best to contain what spills I have. Regardless if they are big or even a small one.

We can all do our best to reclaim old fluids and dispose of them in a safe and environmentally friendly way.

JM2CW
there's a difference in what joe regular person produces versus a commercial salvage operation. As a commercial business, I too observe and comply with all waste handling guidelines. But a regular person with a large yard on his property can do it without damaging the environment. If it's water soluble, there's no issues. If it isn't, don't dump in the dirt. heck, I have a neighbor who dumps battery acid onto the roots of his trees and the trees like it alot. Trees grow better in acidified soil. granted, the lead mixed in from the battery plates don't make it a very good idea for fruit trees, the other types of trees don't have a problem with it. dirty coolant is not as bad either. there's bacteria in the soil that like ethylene glycol and thrives on it. it is just plain not good for animals.
Don't get me wrong, I see and hear your point in proper disposal, but the average person shouldn't have as much issues in dumping compared to commercial businesses.

gandalf

Reaction score

I'll cut and paste Okie/Baja ******'s post from 3-4 years ago, over on the "brand X :puke:" site.

OkieGringo

My Photos: (17)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Re: Draining Coolant from Engine
The block drains are on the sides, the one above the starter is a ***** to get at unless you remove the starter. When you remove the drain plugs, you will get very slimey from the antifreeze running down your arms and all over your chest. So, to make the next time easier/less slimey, i put in Baja/Okiegringo Block Drains...
You must be registered for see images
Okie/Baja/******

BajaGringo Block Drains

The block drains are just 1/4"npt pet****s, available in the "HELP" section at the auto parts store. You need a 9/16" crowfoot socket that fits on a socket extension to reach in to tighten them (There's no room for a reg open end wrench). Then, cut up an old spark plug socket to fit over the pet**** to loosen/tighten. Once they are loose, slip the 3/8" rubber hose over the end of the pet**** and continue loosening the pet**** (with the other end of hose in bucket). Intstalling these is still messy and a bit of a hassle, but NEXT TIME it'll be a lot less messy and a lot easier. Smear 'em with anti-seize to make sure they turn 'next time'. I've already had to use mine because when I had the radiator 'rodded' they didn't have the right kind of antifreeze, and I was 200 miles from home. So I needed to re-flush the system and re-DCA it. This makes saving/reusing the expensive DCAs/antifreeze possible if you use CLEAN BUCKETS. I bought a special funnel that snaps into the radiator fill, and use a metal spray paint funnel/filter/screen just to make sure nothing too big gets back in there. Yeah, I'm a little '**** retentive', that's probably why my eyes are brown. BajaGringo
I added them to mine a few weeks ago(idea stollen from Baja) I confirm they are 1/4" npt pet****s and the 9/16" crowfoot is neccassary also.

End of pasted section.

Hope that helps.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ;Sweet

Another upgrade on the way LOL. Got the NAPA filter tomorrow with heater core bypass, repair radiator, petcook' mod, flush, then elc :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger