Clutch options

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start anything but this is copy and paste when I emailed ecgs. The "one off gear sets" is because I asked about a thick cut ring gear to avoid the spacer

We have never heard of any ill affects from the spacer, if torqued to spec with red loctite nothing should be able to move. One off gear sets are not available. The only way to get around not using the spacer would be to swap in a regular 60 or something larger.

www.EastCoastGearSupply.com
919-672-2705

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
the issue with running a spacer is you are no longer centering on the carrier, you are now centering on the bolts (which is not how it's designed to work)

I've plenty of cars at the strip running a spacer shear off the bolts on a hard launch, even using shouldered bolts locktited in place, and we're not talking huge power cars, we're talking 300-400 hp turboed v-6s and smallblocks, people with big power have their axles "done right"
your gear lube in the rear can top 250*+ easy, how hot do you think the ring gear is at that point? even red locktite won't hold up to the heat in the steel

as far as their email goes, I read it as "either put in a different axle or you're on your own if it breaks..." LOL

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the issue with running a spacer is you are no longer centering on the carrier, you are now centering on the bolts (which is not how it's designed to work)

I've plenty of cars at the strip running a spacer shear off the bolts on a hard launch, even using shouldered bolts locktited in place, and we're not talking huge power cars, we're talking 300-400 hp turboed v-6s and smallblocks, people with big power have their axles "done right"
your gear lube in the rear can top 250*+ easy, how hot do you think the ring gear is at that point? even red locktite won't hold up to the heat in the steel

as far as their email goes, I read it as "either put in a different axle or you're on your own if it breaks..." LOL

I have been looking for a larger axle but in the mean time I tossed up the idea of building my 61. Just the information ecgs provided, not my opinion. I think as long as the carrier was still centering the ring gear, not the bolts, it would live a long life but I do understand how a "large" spacer "could" cause issues

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if that 1993 10.25 will have 9/16 studs with 1 1/16 lug nuts like my truck does now?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
The stud has been same size for years. The nut size has jumped around. But even the 94 dually I had used 1 1/16 nut.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the smaller 7/8" dually lug nuts have no problem tightening down on the 9/16" studs.

Attachments

• P1000587.JPG
    P1000587.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 10
  • P1000415.JPG
    P1000415.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 9

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I can run my 1 1/16 lug nuts regardless? That's comforting. My OCD was creating a mini panic attack thinking about 2 different sized lug nuts on my truck lol

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
How far up through the years will a 10.25 directly bolt in? I've searched all over Craigslist for part outs, one person replied and knew nothing about the axle. Working night shift, it makes it hard to go search junk yards. Like I said, I've looked for other axles but haven't found much at a reasonable price so I started looking into building the axle already in the truck with brand new brakes

There is a 3/4 or 1 Ton Brick Nose (87-91) Sitting at Pik-A-Part on 16th Street in Indy, saw it a few weeks ago, still has a rear axle....... They actually have 3 Ford's...... that would be compatible, a 91 F-250, and a 94 and 96 F-350....... Pull-a-Part on Mass Ave, has a 96 F-350.....all would be compatible..... even a bonus, Pull-A-Part has a 97 E-250........ it may have what many feel is the "holy grail" axle, an 8-lug, 8 x 6.5" with DISK brakes and parking brakes....... it would not be a direct bolt in..... but it has the correct bolt pattern..... the 99+ F-2/350 "Super Duty" trucks have read disk and parking brakes, but have 8 x 170mm lug spacing...........

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 3/4 or 1 Ton Brick Nose (87-91) Sitting at Pik-A-Part on 16th Street in Indy, saw it a few weeks ago, still has a rear axle....... They actually have 3 Ford's...... that would be compatible, a 91 F-250, and a 94 and 96 F-350....... Pull-a-Part on Mass Ave, has a 96 F-350.....all would be compatible..... even a bonus, Pull-A-Part has a 97 E-250........ it may have what many feel is the "holy grail" axle, an 8-lug, 8 x 6.5" with DISK brakes and parking brakes....... it would not be a direct bolt in..... but it has the correct bolt pattern..... the 99+ F-2/350 "Super Duty" trucks have read disk and parking brakes, but have 8 x 170mm lug spacing...........

Are axles still 90$ up there? I hate trying to pull big stuff up there with the limited tools you can carry. I don't have a cordless impact :(. But that would be cheaper and save me the drive but it's gonna suck turning wrenches in this heat lol.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of weasil **** and wire brushing on U bolt threads...makes it much better...or...a rethreading die to chase off crap too....makes it easier...once u break em free that is...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find U bolts to be hit and miss. If they are very rusty might as well cut them. Battery angle grinder with cuttoff wheel. Cut the bottom of the bolt in two and you only need 1 cut per bolt.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find U bolts to be hit and miss. If they are very rusty might as well cut them. Battery angle grinder with cuttoff wheel. Cut the bottom of the bolt in two and you only need 1 cut per bolt.

I prefer plasma cutter myself....but...piknpull no let in

No battey impact for him so likely no battery grinder...

Better to use brute force and ignorance to prevail rather than finesse and elegance which might fail.

Just sqyin...use what ya got.