Clutch options

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know you're trying to save money, but just go buy a Milwaukee cordless impact, or cordless angle grinder. Either will make quick work of it. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you're trying to save money, but just go buy a Milwaukee cordless impact, or cordless angle grinder. Either will make quick work of it. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My buddy has a cordless I'm trying to get ahold of but one of my own isn't really in the budget unless this loan goes through. Impact might be part of the budget for my axle build in that case :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an air cat 1150 and honestly use my Dewalt 20v battery impact for 95% of everything. The new brushless ones do 700ft lb and supposedly 1200ft lb removing. My aircat 1295 does removing and the battery one rivals it. I use it for everything.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used dewalt and Milwaukee, liked the dewalt more. I already have a craftsman 19.2v drill, considering one of their impacts to keep batteries the same. Cordless technology has come a long way the last couple years for sure

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer plasma cutter myself....but...piknpull no let in

No battey impact for him so likely no battery grinder...

Better to use brute force and ignorance to prevail rather than finesse and elegance which might fail.

Just sqyin...use what ya got.

Hack saw and a sharp blade works too. Just slower.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
heck for that matter, a GOOD set of nut splitters would do the trick.......
or a small oxy-mapp setup, I have one and it works when you have to use it.....

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heck for that matter, a GOOD set of nut splitters would do the trick.......
or a small oxy-mapp setup, I have one and it works when you have to use it.....

That sounds interesting :)

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
http://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-Cutting-Welding-and-Brazing-Torch-Kit/50126405

that's close to the one I have, if you even THINK about comparing it to a real torch, you aren't going to be happy with it, it's a brazing tip, but it's plenty hot to use to heat up nuts for loosening, or even cutting steel IF YOU ARE PATIENT
I've cut off a TRE, but it took 2 bottles of oxy, cut and welded 1/8" steel with it on multiple occasions in a pinch
you get between 15-30 minutes from an oxy bottle and need to catch them on sale so they aren't $10/each, or get one of the NOS filling setups and convert it to use an oxy thread so you can fill them from the big tank I DO NOT CONDONE OR RECOMMEND THIS (but there is a way to safely do this ;Sweet)

mapp burns about as hot as propylene gas, hotter than propane but cooler than acetylene, but those little setups you are stuck with a baby brazing tip

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use my mapp torch all the time but without oxy. It is much hotter than propane and FYI, you can screw a mapp bottle into a propane torch head. The auto light jobs that bernzomatic sells with a mapp bottle uses the same torch (same part number) as the propane kit. It's expensive but more effective than just propane. You can get the bright orange if you work at it a little.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
you actually need to make sure you are using a swirl/turbo tip for mapp gas, if you use a standard propane torch head, you can melt it down inside, and they come apart spectacularly

I found that out the hard way, if I hadn't been wearing welding gloves at the time, I would have had a world of pain, as it was, I just singed some arm hair ;Sweet

oh yeah, and if you're looking at small hardware stores (not menards, homeless depot, or lowes), try to find some old bottles of actual MAPP, the MAPP/PRO is a propylene blend and doesn't burn as hot,
acetylene burns at 5900* with oxy, real MAPP burns at 5300* with oxy, MAPP/PRO burns around 5100* with oxy, propane burns about 4500* with oxy

those are neutral flame temps, a lightly oxidizing flame adds 100-200 degrees, when I'm cutting with the oxy/mapp I don't **** around with "lightly oxidizing", I'll get her going wide open to the point it almost sounds like I have the big torch going and the metal is popping and throwing sparks :sly

the biggest reason you're going to go much slower with the oxy/mapp (and especially the new mapp/pro) than your big torch is the gas flame velocity, acetylene gives about 1350 ft/sec, mapp gives about 925 ft/sec, and propylene is only 750 ft/sec

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94 f350 3.55 open 10.25 now rests in the bed of my truck :). When I first got to pic a part, I walked past a late 90s f350 that still had the 60 front chilling in it, that was going to be mine until I got about half way through pulling my 10.25 and noticed some guys working on the other ford. Walked down there and they were pulling that 60 I wanted :(

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always pull the rare beef first...get the ribs later lol

Good score...so now a lunch box locker n yee be golden for while till afford fancy true trac

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know man, looking back, I'm kicking my self. I should've done the 60 first but the 10.25 was priority. I just can't imagine a spartan or lockrite enjoying life while towing up hill on a corner. I feel like it'd finally unload and break its self or something. I think it'll sit till I have it built the way I want it

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone on here that has actually spun an axle tube on a 10.25?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online