Clutch type

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 1989 F-250 and id like to change the clutch out. Were they equipped with a single or dual mass clutch? Inquiring minds want to know ........thanks!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Originally they were dual mass flywheels. Lots of them have been converted to single mass, as the dual mass flywheels are very expensive, and can cause catastrophic damage when they let loose. Like damaging the transmission or engine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The only way to know is to look. You'll have to drop the transmission inspection cover to look at the flywheel.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the inspection plate won’t fit with the solid flywheel, so if you still have the inspection plate on your transmission that means you have the dual-mass setup. I installed the LuK 07225 kit about a year ago and it’s been great. I had a perfection clutch (solid flywheel) on the past and it drove equally good.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just to toss it out there, I have the solid flywheel and the inspection plate installed.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys have to modify the inspection cover to keep it from rubbing? What clutch kit did you use? I would like to have an inspection cover if possible, but I had read several posts where people said it rubbed with the LuK kit.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Did you guys have to modify the inspection cover to keep it from rubbing? What clutch kit did you use? I would like to have an inspection cover if possible, but I had read several posts where people said it rubbed with the LuK kit.
I just used a LUK kit from Napa. Nothing fancy. Cover went on without issue or modification.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same as Nero. Although I used a South Bend kit. Inspection cover went on with no modifications.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac