CA to OH itinerary

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
ok here's the plan. i will be leaving the Los Angeles area monday, April 7.

i'm looking at around 2414 miles if i don't take any detours. here is the route i'm looking at.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Newbury+Park+CA/Chardon+OH+44024/

i'd like to make 500-600 miles per day but with no OD and a 300k motor with original head gaskets i may take it a little easier on it. keep it around 65-70 or so.

anyone along this route?

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
i'm about an hour north off of route 88. when would you be comming through illinois? theres a stop in morris with plenty of fuel/food. i might be able to swing down that way for a cup of coffe. i'm leaving for kentucky on the 9. before then let me know.
chris

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Food for thought but.... a less stressful route on your truck would be the more southerly one running 40 to 44 in oklahoma city then hook up with 70 in st louis then 71 in columbus and that will pretty much get you to your destination in 2417.3 miles.... if you want the detailed directions for that I can send them. My thought is just less mountain driving through nevada, utah and colorado...... :D

sootman73

Reaction score
im about a mile south of the ohio turnpike about 30min from indiana. too bad i will be at school when you swing by there unfortunately. but if ya need anything just hollar cuz i know a bunch of people around there that would be willing to help ya out if ya need it!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Unless there's a specific reason for going that way, the route that mapquest has picked out for you is gauarenteed to be the most fuel consuming , radiator testing, clutch /brake burning,u joint popping , higher cost per gallon fuel route I can think of. It is the scenic route though :D

best way is go up 15 to 40 to Oklahoma city then up44 toward OH. You'll spend a whole lot more time on flat ground.

------Robert

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Oh come on, 5-600miles a day, you can do 1200miles a day LOL. Taking it easy is probably the smart thing to do ;Sweet.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
part of the fun of it is the mountain driving. but yeah i'm all ears for any route you suggest. back roads are fun. last spring i traveled US 50 for a couple days on my way to SF.

my concern is being run over on the interstate by traffic.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i've done 700 a day but that was in a TDI running whatever speed i could get away with.

1200 a day, maybe when i was 18, i dunno about that these days

FordGuy100

Reaction score
i've done 700 a day but that was in a TDI running whatever speed i could get away with.

1200 a day, maybe when i was 18, i dunno about that these days

Yeah I know what you mean. I love doing those extremly long drives ;Sweet. Last summer I did a 1000 mile trip in about 15 hours. Went down to California to camp, left 5am in the morning, arrived around 7pm to our destination, Bishop, California ;Sweet. I'm doing it again this Summer.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
well the route that i posted is a lot less stressful, although mountain driving is nice, if you want to be nice to your truck maybe that other way is better, i got that route off of my streets and trips program, what I used to use when i drove OTR, never sent me wrong.....

SKimballC

Reaction score
Taking the Mapquest route will take you past some of my favorite scenery in America, but it will wear you out in a N/A diesel truck in the mountains. If you're in no hurry, I'd say go for it, but if time and energy is an issue and you just want to get home I'd go the route that Sam suggested.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Rob, If you can't post on the trip, just give me a daily call and I would be glad to post your progress.

What day do you think you will be crossing Indiana/ohio? Maybee Ron and I can meet up with you in Ft Wayne with Travis and Barney. Depends on the timing, but I know that I want to see that truck!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Well Rob if you take the southern route and come up 70-71 I'm about 3 miles off of 71 at exit 140 if you would need something

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Food for thought but.... a less stressful route on your truck would be the more southerly one running 40 to 44 in oklahoma city then hook up with 70 in st louis then 71 in columbus and that will pretty much get you to your destination in 2417.3 miles.... if you want the detailed directions for that I can send them. My thought is just less mountain driving through nevada, utah and colorado...... :D

Sam gave you the best route for that drive.;Sweet Have a safe trip.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Hey Rob, If you can't post on the trip, just give me a daily call and I would be glad to post your progress.

What day do you think you will be crossing Indiana/ohio? Maybee Ron and I can meet up with you in Ft Wayne with Travis and Barney. Depends on the timing, but I know that I want to see that truck!

If you do come across Indiana on 80. let me know when.

If you come up the southern route using 70, I can come and meet you then too. I'll PM my phone number.