CA to OH itinerary

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
+1 on the Flying J. Good prices. I was a little scared one night when i walked in to one on a trip to refill my mountain dew and they didn't charge me for it. Just said it was on the house. Was scared they might have put drugs in it.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Rob

Beautiful truck!:love: What kind of wheels are those?

If you're taking the I-40 route, the only mountains to speak of that you'll encounter are just past Albuquerque. It's only about 15-20 miles worth and it's through Tijeras canyon which really only has one good climb coming out of the canyon. No big deal. When you get to New Mexico, Gallup is a good place to layover if it's that time of day. Get fuel there. There aren't many more chances before Albuquerque. Keep in mind that it gets pretty cold in Gallup overnight...don't let the daytime temps fool you. As far as crossing the continental divide, if you miss the sign, you won't even realize it.

If you don't want the hassle of getting off the freeway in Albuquerque, go another 40 miles and you will be in Moriarty (where I live). There are two truck stops and several gas stations to get diesel (not Chevron cookoo ). We have more hotel rooms than residents and just about every fast food chain you can think of. There are several sit-down eateries as well (I recommend the Buford Steak House). You won't have to worry about that truck getting stolen out of the parking lot in Moriarty either. In ABQ, I'd get a downstairs room that you can park right outside;Really After Moriarty, you have fuel stops every 50-70 miles. Hotels in Santa Rosa, Tucumcari, and Amarillo. You can make it to OK City in one day as well.

I might add as a side note, that most of the way thru NM I-40 runs the same route as Rt 66. In Santa Rosa, there is a nice little car museum on the south side of the highway http://www.route66automuseum.com/ that makes a nice rest stop. Every car in the place runs and is for sale.:thumbsup:

Enjoy your trip.

Tom

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the PO lists the wheels as being m/t challengers

i'm looking forward to seeing a part od the country i haven't seen. thanks for the advice on a safe place to stop. i definitely dont want to have my stuff stolen. i'm ready to sleep in the truck if i have to.:backoff

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Working on yer retirement fund Bill

Yupper Mike thats why stuff will sell cheap-An old horse trader ( a true oldtime trader) always said a fast nickle is betteren a slow dollar:yell:
Sorry frieght train :rotflmao :rotflmao

Rob remember from OK City you want to GO towards Tulsa on 35 to 44 thru Mossouri to St louis then I70 ti Indianapolis.
I hate to post directions because U can easily offend someone-but from Ft Wayne I like rt 24 to the toll road-nice relaxing drive not bullet fast but I think its quickest and cuts some mileage.I used to use it a lot,
Don't want to reccomend a resteraunt because I have steaks ready on the Barbie for ya if'n U like.

Last edited:

sootman73

Reaction score
From Ft Wayne I like rt 24 to the toll road-nice relaxing drive not bullet fast bus I thinkits quickest and cuts some mileage.

i agree that taking 24 from fort wayne is best but grab st rt 6 and go to fremont. if you take 24 all the way to toledo then you'll be on city streets(anthony wayne trail) through toledo to the toll road. Fremont is much smaller with much less traffic. stays 55 all the way there. 24 slows down in toledo. stay on 6 to fremont, once there get on 53 north. this will take you to the toll onramp. (no onramp off of st rt 6) it would prob add on a half an hour to 45 minutes if you had to go through toledo. depending on what time you are there that is.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm looking forward to seeing a part od the country i haven't seen. thanks for the advice on a safe place to stop. i definitely dont want to have my stuff stolen. i'm ready to sleep in the truck if i have to.:backoff

This time of the year you can still sleep in the truck. early summer the temps rise quickly when the sun comes up. I cut out my motel expense by doing so and buy a shower at the flying J in the morning.;Sweet
yea, I'm cheap but that was why I bought my CC so I can do just that:D

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
part of the fun of it is the mountain driving. but yeah i'm all ears for any route you suggest. back roads are fun. last spring i traveled US 50 for a couple days on my way to SF.

my concern is being run over on the interstate by traffic.

When I drove from SF CA to NJ I took the southern route. I40 to I70 and worked my way up from there. At the time I was driving the 72 Cadillac ambulance with a car hauler attached and car so I wanted to avoid the mountains. I have also driven the mountainous I80 from SF to Nevada and it was not fun. The truckers like to ride your bumper because you are doing the speedlimit and preventing them from breaking the speed limit. They are also very windy parts. Now if I was driving the car that was on the trailer then it would not have been an issue as I would have been passing every truck I came across. When I went from NJ to KY in the car that was on the trailer and I did it in 11 hours :thumbsup: . That was 740 miles. Average speed was 70 :angel: . When ever I came up behind someone they moved to the right and let me by :hail .

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you take 24 all the way to toledo then you'll be on city streets(anthony wayne trail) through toledo to the toll road.

Hee hee....I used to live just off the Anthony Wayne Trail in Toledo. Yeah, it can be a bit confusing to find the toll road from the A.W. Trail. Gotta watch those signs real close.

Heath

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
If I didn't have to work, I'd fly out there and ride back with ya. Sounds like it's gonna be a fun trip. Good Luck.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i won't take offense to any suggetions, why do you think i posted this thread. why not utilize the experience of others?:cheers:

russ that would have been cool is you were able to do that, it's gonna be a long ride by myself. i am gonna take my Sirius and did i mention the truck has a 6 CD changer?:D

i saw that rt 24 on the map, i think that's what i'll use to get back to the turnpike.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i saw that rt 24 on the map, i think that's what i'll use to get back to the turnpike.

There is no difference in time running 24 to the turnpike vs 30 to 71 and

30 to 71 is about 15 miles longer but 24 is 2 lane and stop and go lights close to toledo which is why no difference in time, these are the 2 fastest ways back to Chardon from ft wayne. Running 24 to 6 to 53 will take 15 - 30 minutes longer and is the same distance as 24 to the turnpike.

Of course you could run I69 to the turnpike and avoid the small roads, it's about 40 miles longer than 24 to the pike but it's about the same amount of time.

Flip a coin and pick yer poison... None of the routes are bad routes, I travel these roads all the time and it seems like I pick a different one each time depending on my mood.... Heads pay the toll, tails run the skinney roadsLOL

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i was hoping to avoid tolls when possible but i'm sure i will be ready to get home fast by that leg of the trip. if it's nice weather i don't mind the slower roads and stoplights, fun cruisin'

i'm gonna have to get that turbo on there quick:D:angel: