Building a 6.9 to kill

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is more fun to do it your self but I've learned that its some times cheaper and a lot easyer to get the kit but not always

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good lesson to learn, but I reckon I want to learn what it is I'm doing, and I feel I do that better making it from scratch, but hey this is a hobby for me, I guess that's what happens when you have a lo of time on your hands and not much money, you try to cobble something together on the cheap with redneck ingenuity and often it gets more expensive than a kit. I don't think I can say that about my ATS turbo and cobbling parts for it though. Probably about even with a new hypermax kit, only I didn't have to drop 1500-2000 all at once, I spread it out over 12 months or so.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
That's a good lesson to learn, but I reckon I want to learn what it is I'm doing, and I feel I do that better making it from scratch, but hey this is a hobby for me, I guess that's what happens when you have a lo of time on your hands and not much money, you try to cobble something together on the cheap with redneck ingenuity and often it gets more expensive than a kit. I don't think I can say that about my ATS turbo and cobbling parts for it though. Probably about even with a new hypermax kit, only I didn't have to drop 1500-2000 all at once, I spread it out over 12 months or so.

it's alot less painless that way, i haven't gone through the recipts yet but i'm guessing i have around $20K into the scout, spread over like 6 years, it didn't hurt a bit! LOL

-Jon

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I hear you on the Hypermax, I agree it has some good points. One of the biggest things it came down to at the end of the day was what each kit supplies. The banks kit is gonna get cut up just as the HyperMax would. Running a compound setup, I need a gate otherwise the big spool is gonna blow the little spool of the truck once it lights up. The Banks kit has one thing that I believe is hands down better than the Hypermax though and that is the turbo ti intake connection. The hypermax kinda necks down and squishes the incoming air, the Banks kit has a nice horn style connection that looks a lot less restrictive.

And one last thing, I am not paying shipping for the banks kit, the Hypermax would tack on shipping.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
George, whats the word on my rear main seal????????? Do I need to go buy a tranny jack?

Uncle Mater

Reaction score
Well, I do like the banks setup. Finding the rebuild kit for the turbo is not very difficult to find either. Take the huge filter housing off and do your own intake setup, it is not so bad!
Besides, there is a site that Banks is set up to and you can find all the parts if you need to replace the original fittings ect.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah well if you're going to do this build then you need whatever works best for your two turbo setup. The compound setup is awesome and definitely seems like a way to make some power. We had one other guy here do it, but he couldn't keep a set of head gaskets on even with studs, but he was one of the few people to be completely out of fuel on a stock IP, couldn't even get close to max boost or EGTs hot enough to have to back out until he got the Moose Pump and a Holley Blue lift pump. After that I think he maxed the boost at 25 psi at 85 mph with the C6 and 3.08s. This lifted head gaskets. The compound turbos were a stock Banks Sidewinder fed by a remote mounted PSD turbo. It was a sad day when he had to give up. No one knows how much power that truck was throwing down but it had to be a lot.

DWitcher

Reaction score
^ hopefully something exciting is going to be revealed soon ;Sweet

That would be cool. I came from the Cummins world too with only half the power Abull had. It was fun but I found out how dangerous a 7200# truck with 450hp to the wheels. Too much go and not enough whoa. I'm cool with 200hp (I hope) now.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be cool. I came from the Cummins world too with only half the power Abull had. It was fun but I found out how dangerous a 7200# truck with 450hp to the wheels. Too much go and not enough whoa. I'm cool with 200hp (I hope) now.
the towing business discovered the same thing too back in '99 when the new SD's came out. the '88-'97's stayed on their feet due to the lack of extreme power and excellent brakes. In '99, towtruck rollovers started showing up at the build shops due to drivers exceeding practical limits. Twisted metal can't begin to describe what the wreckage looked like.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I've been side tracked by the boat. The pickle is still alive and kicking. I managed to get ahold of a solid front axle and leafs for the front and rear. I have gone through 2 IP's trying to get rid of the fuel venting. I did however score a sweet new skull shifter knob,...........it's green. Also, Mr. Gasket has a diesel fuel pump, puts out 7psi, you can get them at Pep Boys for $39 and they have a 1 year warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online