Building a 6.9 to kill

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup... That 500+ ponies is out of a very mildly built 557 cube BBF, torque is in excess of 600... It breaks things... LOL

I did push my 6.9 pretty hard, to the point that it would run very closely with my Dodge when I only had it making 25 psi, but I have no idea how much power that actually is. On a hot day it was eventually hitting 15 psi of boost, on a -40 day, it was much quicker to spool and would hit around 18-19.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Picking up some nice guages tomorrow. Banks kit is ordered, hopefully get that in next week. No go on the spare motor, so, still hunting there.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calvin usually has some IDI engines sitting around his shop, not always though. He's in the SF Bay area so that may be a bit far to go for you, but I do know he's a good guy to deal with.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Picking up some nice guages tomorrow. Banks kit is ordered, hopefully get that in next week. No go on the spare motor, so, still hunting there.

you should have went with hypermax, they are a much better company that actually still supports IDI's and have great customer service, and there much cheaper:D

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Well, I went with the banks because you get more in the kit and end up saving money in the long run. As far as needing support, that wont be needed. i am sure they arent going to have anything to say once it gets here and gets cut up to hang a 2nd turbo onto it.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
OK, so I finally got a quote back and I am singing the camshaft blues. $1800 for a full custom cam with big lift. So,..............not sure what to do at this point, might be looking at some rockers and a regrind on the stock bumpstick. My guy in Covina Cali said he could get me .483 lobe lift out of the stocker, which is some improvement.

Just gotta way out the options at this point.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Well, I went with the banks because you get more in the kit and end up saving money in the long run. As far as needing support, that wont be needed. i am sure they arent going to have anything to say once it gets here and gets cut up to hang a 2nd turbo onto it.

Before you ask, by getting more I mean:

includes pyro gauge and thermo couple
includes boost gauge
includes waste gate
includes shipping charge

If you add those up and compare to the Hypermax, the Banks is cheaper.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score

Yea wait till you go to hunting parts for that mitsubitchy turbo they use,

Saving money? hypermax come with everything you need minus exhuast, go to your local exhaust shop and get them to do exhuast out the rear and surely they wont charge more than 100 dollars so then you will have close to 2000 in it, and you paid what 2800 for that banks?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I finally got a quote back and I am singing the camshaft blues. $1800 for a full custom cam with big lift. So,..............not sure what to do at this point, might be looking at some rockers and a regrind on the stock bumpstick. My guy in Covina Cali said he could get me .483 lobe lift out of the stocker, which is some improvement.

Just gotta way out the options at this point.

I read somewhere when turbo charging a gas engine, the need for large valves, porting the heads, and high lift cams, is reduced because the turbo or blower forces the air in under pressure, which masks and overcomes many problems associated with airflow.

Doesn't this hold true for a diesel also? Instead of doing all this modifying to the engine, can't you just turn the boost up to force more air into the chamber and have the same affect?

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I read somewhere when turbo charging a gas engine, the need for large valves, porting the heads, and high lift cams, is reduced because the turbo or blower forces the air in under pressure, which masks and overcomes many problems associated with airflow.

Doesn't this hold true for a diesel also? Instead of doing all this modifying to the engine, can't you just turn the boost up to force more air into the chamber and have the same affect?

More boost means more stress on the motor, increased heat to the incoming air charge... etc.

I will always swear by PnP, lightening, balancing and higher lift cams.

Lets pretend that the motor isnt going to be turbo charged, All of those mods make the motor a more effecient motor.

As far as the cam lift goes, giving the motor more time to charge and discharge a cylinder is only going to be a benefit. The cam is the core of the valvetrain and basically in command of what a motor will do, what power it makes and where it makes it.

Now we jam the turbo on the motor, lets sat prior to opening up the cam, the motor would produce boost of 20psi. Now that same motor making more power due to a higher lift cam is only making 18psi of boost because you have lessened restrictions., AND you are getting more air into the cylinder.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Yea wait till you go to hunting parts for that mitsubitchy turbo they use,

Saving money? hypermax come with everything you need minus exhuast, go to your local exhaust shop and get them to do exhuast out the rear and surely they wont charge more than 100 dollars so then you will have close to 2000 in it, and you paid what 2800 for that banks?

2600 for the banks.

And I would take a mitsu turbo in a heartbeat, great map, great boost AND parts are easy to find when you know where to look. Besides, the T04 will be doing most of the work anyway.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know people here love Hypermax because they are loyal to the old IH crowd, but give they giy a break he already bought the banks. From what I hear you CAN get parts for the Mitsu turbo without going through Banks but you better know exactly what and where you're looking for cause no one at Mitsubishi cares about doing any extra work to make you or your IDI happy..that was your experience right icanfixall? What we had always said here and at the old site was that the Banks was the most complete kit, right down to the exhaust and never seize for every bolt, they were just too expensive for most people's taste and a lot of us wanted to support hypermax. Some of us wanted to support Huff(dealer). 2600 is a very good price for a Banks kit I have seen them go for upwards of 3,000 more recently. Even back in the day when the ATS kit was right at 2g and the Hypermax through Huff was around 1400 they Banks was around 2300. Now that the competition is a little more, I'd say you did good. All that other stuff is not really an enticement though cause I like cobbling my own stuff together. Realistically, here's the valuable extras you got:
Pyro+ thermocouple..... ~150-200 bucks worth
wastegate................. worthless(but I like non gated turbos no offense justa difference in philosphy...an external wastegate would probably not be cheap)
A Banks exhaust............. I guess around $350 worth, very good only way more than it needs to be. The Hypermax exhaust is around $200 I think and I bet I could make my own for $150
Never seize for all the bolts and very complete instructions..... a value, hard to price.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True enough. I may be showing my rudeness and fondness for redneck engineering but having everything together like that for me takes away about 1/2 the fun. IDK I'm weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin