Idi build

Thatredobs

Reaction score
So I recently bought a 7.3 idi and I’m planning on doing a full build, I’m going to list my parts list and some other cool things I’ve seen and just get some opinions on it.
I’m planning on doing a compound turbo set up with a 67mm or 76mm feeding a 96mm turbo, it’s also going to get arp head studs with CDD’s fire ringed head gaskets along with getting the head fire ringed themselves. I’m also planning on getting bigger ports machined. I’m going to use r&d’s psd converting connecting rods and pistons along with there ring kit. I’m also going to have the block brought to a shop to have it sleeved and decked. As for oil and coolant I’m going to use CDD’s coolant filter and there oil catch can. For top end I’ve read on a different form the supposedly you can use roller rocker from a v10 viper motor so that’s the plan there and then I’m going to use CDD’s Johnson hylift lifter set. For fuel I’m going to use CDD’s e-fuel conversion kit, conception injectors, and 250cc injection pump.(would it worth while to convert to a p pump setup? Ik I’ve seen it done on other idis)

If there’s anything I missed or anyone has some ideas or thoughts about the build please lmk. Thank you!!

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently bought a 7.3 idi and I’m planning on doing a full build, I’m going to list my parts list and some other cool things I’ve seen and just get some opinions on it.
Welcome to the Oilbuners community
I’m planning on doing a compound turbo set up with a 67mm or 76mm feeding a 96mm turbo, it’s also going to get arp head studs with CDD’s fire ringed head gaskets
Good plan there
along with getting the head fire ringed themselves.
So… Hypermax Engineering made a fire ring kit back in the day, but they only machined the block, as the heads, being IDI, have prechambers in them that the injectors spray into, and they protrude past the fire ring. Being made of a harder material than the heads, the only way I could see this being done is to individually use a CNC cutter on each prechamber. That would be insanely expensive, and nobody makes a fire ring kit like that.
I’m also planning on getting bigger ports machined. I’m going to use r&d’s psd converting connecting rods and pistons along with there ring kit.
How much power are you shooting for?
I’m also going to have the block brought to a shop to have it sleeved and decked.
Sounds expensive
As for oil and coolant I’m going to use CDD’s coolant filter and there oil catch can.
Another good call
For top end I’ve read on a different form the supposedly you can use roller rocker from a v10 viper motor so that’s the plan there
I have a very hard time believing that, but I have no knowledge of this otherwise so I’d be interested in seeing that…
and then I’m going to use CDD’s Johnson hylift lifter set. For fuel I’m going to use CDD’s e-fuel conversion kit, conception injectors, and 250cc injection pump.(would it worth while to convert to a p pump setup? Ik I’ve seen it done on other idis)
Must be looking for big power… depends on your goal
If there’s anything I missed or anyone has some ideas or thoughts about the build please lmk. Thank you!!
This sounds pretty wild. And pretty cool.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im interested to see the 250cc pump on the dyno - good luck with your build. Are you consulting Wes / Justin on the details of the build? From what you said I would just order the block through Justin. It would probably be less money and higher quality & precision unless you are buddy with the machine shop. It’s not easy to find a good machine shop to touch IDIs.

This is putting the fire ringed conversation aside. Was that one of their idea or your idea?

Thatredobs

Reaction score
Welcome to the Oilbuners community

Good plan there

So… Hypermax Engineering made a fire ring kit back in the day, but they only machined the block, as the heads, being IDI, have prechambers in them that the injectors spray into, and they protrude past the fire ring. Being made of a harder material than the heads, the only way I could see this being done is to individually use a CNC cutter on each prechamber. That would be insanely expensive, and nobody makes a fire ring kit like that.

How much power are you shooting for?

Sounds expensive

Another good call

I have a very hard time believing that, but I have no knowledge of this otherwise so I’d be interested in seeing that…

Must be looking for big power… depends on your goal

This sounds pretty wild. And pretty cool.

I’m planning on shooting for 700+ but I’m out of a idi that would be expensive. As for the fire rings I’m currently stuffing to be a machinist at a local tech school so I think if I got the tooling I could possibly use the machines when have there to do that. So if the viper roller rockers won’t work what would be the next best thing?

Thatredobs

Reaction score
Im interested to see the 250cc pump on the dyno - good luck with your build. Are you consulting Wes / Justin on the details of the build? From what you said I would just order the block through Justin. It would probably be less money and higher quality & precision unless you are buddy with the machine shop. It’s not easy to find a good machine shop to touch IDIs.

This is putting the fire ringed conversation aside. Was that one of their idea or your idea?
The fire ring idea is mine…I’m currently stuffing to become a machinist and tbh was hoping I might be able to do some of the machine work at my school. I’m wondering if the 250cc ip won’t push enough fuel and have seen people convert the engine to a p pump ip and if I can do that I think that might be the way to go

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m planning on shooting for 700+ but I’m out of a idi that would be expensive. As for the fire rings I’m currently stuffing to be a machinist at a local tech school so I think if I got the tooling I could possibly use the machines when have there to do that. So if the viper roller rockers won’t work what would be the next best thing?
@IDIoit

Brian.
I hear a new apprentice, you have. :joker: LOL:dunno;Poke:rotflmao

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score

IIRC this should answer some questions

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fire ring idea is mine…I’m currently stuffing to become a machinist and tbh was hoping I might be able to do some of the machine work at my school. I’m wondering if the 250cc ip won’t push enough fuel and have seen people convert the engine to a p pump ip and if I can do that I think that might be the way to go
I respect your dreaming big and would recommend before you buy anything (turbo, turbo kit, injectors, injection pump) etc… build & buy a functioning long block that meets your specs and then evaluate where you are. I can tell you don’t really know what you are getting into, and that’s OK. But I don’t want to see you spread a lot of money out on steps 2 and 3 when you need to accomplish step 1 first. I know I said it, but I highly recommend you have Justin build you a custom engine and then you bolt on whatever you want from there.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where have you seen people do this? There has been one truck with an inline pump and it wasn’t streetable.
There is some development occurring around the Bosch A pump, not P pump.

Are you trying to drive this truck on the street?

Thatredobs

Reaction score
Where have you seen people do this? There has been one truck with an inline pump and it wasn’t streetable.
There is some development occurring around the Bosch A pump, not P pump.

Are you trying to drive this truck on the street?
I don’t remember where I exactly saw it but ik it was on one of these forum websites.

Thatredobs

Reaction score
I respect your dreaming big and would recommend before you buy anything (turbo, turbo kit, injectors, injection pump) etc… build & buy a functioning long block that meets your specs and then evaluate where you are. I can tell you don’t really know what you are getting into, and that’s OK. But I don’t want to see you spread a lot of money out on steps 2 and 3 when you need to accomplish step 1 first. I know I said it, but I highly recommend you have Justin build you a custom engine and then you bolt on whatever you want from there.
That’s my my goal…right now I bought everything to fix my idi and as of right now I’m just installing a turbo kit, head gaskets, and head studs. And then eventually stage 1 injectors and probably around a 150cc ip. And I’m new to diesels. I’ve also have the red 1995 f150 with the 300i6 that I’ve done the majority of mechanical work on so I have a base knowledge on everything but just trying to strengthen that and get more knowledgeable and etc kinda why I’m planning on only doing a turbo kit and a few other small fuel mods for right now. Also don’t have all the extra money laying around that I know this is going to cost

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sleeves are not cheap! The machinist I had sleeve my block in NJ charged $2500 just for the labor of installing the sleeves. Old school guy, did a fantastic job with the heads and the block but I think it would’ve been the same price for me to ship it all the way to Wyoming to Justin and have him rebuild and assemble the long block.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sleeves are not cheap! The machinist I had sleeve my block in NJ charged $2500 just for the labor of installing the sleeves. Old school guy, did a fantastic job with the heads and the block but I think it would’ve been the same price for me to ship it all the way to Wyoming to Justin and have him rebuild and assemble the long block.
When I find a pristine 7.3 block, it is going to R&D… I had fun overhauling my current 7.3, but I KNOW Justin can do better…

I would go 6.9 if I didn’t want more boost on the next motor… I have a pretty good v i r g i n 6.9 block…

My plan is to have two engines, one in a truck and one ready for the next truck… I am going to buy another IDI truck…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So if the viper roller rockers won’t work what would be the next best thing?

I’m wondering if the 250cc ip won’t push enough fuel and have seen people convert the engine to a p pump ip and if I can do that I think that might be the way to go
Like KansasIDI said, I'm pretty sure that it was Idioit who put some roller rockers on his engine. I do know that he had to use adjustable length pushrods along with them so be ready for that. Other than reduced wear against the pushrods, I don't think that there's a lot of gain on a IDI engine. They don't turn very high RPM.
Reading through this I was thinking the same thing...Call Justin.

Goat
I agree with this. I remember that Wes was trying to develop a p-pump set up, but decided to stop since the field was so extremely small and Justin already has something to offer.
I am going to buy another IDI truck…
That's one of the smartest things that I've heard all day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online