Building a 6.9 to kill

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Guys,

Newbie to the Oilburners. I am also a member on the "other" site.

Just to preface where I am going let me tell you about my last truck. 2001 Dodge w/13mm Schied pump, twin setup S300 and S480 and on and on and on.....made a little over 900hp. You can see the truck in Diesel Power mag from last Nov getting its pump installed.

So, I am not a stranger to going a little overboard on a diesel. I had been reading and reading and reading and I finally settled on purchasing an 86 F250 IDI, she is running 4.10's and a T-19 tranny. Most importantly, with a 6.9 V-8 diesel.

So lets get into it. I am going to have a cam ground, the grind is going to lean towards horsepower at higher RPM from 2000-4500 is the sweet spot. I want to have a lot of lift, enough lift to require me to cut valve reliefs in the pistons. I havent picked who's pistons to run yet, obviously I will be going with forged ceramics. I am going to port and polish the heads as much as can safely be done and stud them. I have a plan for making my own intake. Turbos will definitely be coming in 2's.

What I am interested in hearing, which I haven't found in the forums here, is to what extremes people have built this motor. I am interested in finding a stroker crank for it. I know the Navistar started life as a gasser and have a feeling that there are some cranks out there I could swap in. I am also curious to find out what are the maxx cc's that can be had from the DB2 IP, that kinda starts everything from cam grind to turbo sizing.

Anything would be great guys, thanks.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Guys,

Newbie to the Oilburners. I am also a member on the "other" site.

Just to preface where I am going let me tell you about my last truck. 2001 Dodge w/13mm Schied pump, twin setup S300 and S480 and on and on and on.....made a little over 900hp. You can see the truck in Diesel Power mag from last Nov getting its pump installed.

So, I am not a stranger to going a little overboard on a diesel. I had been reading and reading and reading and I finally settled on purchasing an 86 F250 IDI, she is running 4.10's and a T-19 tranny. Most importantly, with a 6.9 V-8 diesel.

So lets get into it. I am going to have a cam ground, the grind is going to lean towards horsepower at higher RPM from 2000-4500 is the sweet spot. I want to have a lot of lift, enough lift to require me to cut valve reliefs in the pistons. I havent picked who's pistons to run yet, obviously I will be going with forged ceramics. I am going to port and polish the heads as much as can safely be done and stud them. I have a plan for making my own intake. Turbos will definitely be coming in 2's.

What I am interested in hearing, which I haven't found in the forums here, is to what extremes people have built this motor. I am interested in finding a stroker crank for it. I know the Navistar started life as a gasser and have a feeling that there are some cranks out there I could swap in. I am also curious to find out what are the maxx cc's that can be had from the DB2 IP, that kinda starts everything from cam grind to turbo sizing.

Anything would be great guys, thanks.

sounds great but nothings good here without pics :rotflmao . agnem has pumps and injectors. he will probably chime in here about his products. from what ive heard there great! ;Sweet

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen stroker crank kits for the IDI, cam lift is dismal from the OEM, if you regrind will you use an existing cam core to regrind or actually design from scratch a new camshaft with tailored intake and exhaust closing events?
The Lobe seperation for the OEM camshaft may not be the best for a boosted engine.
Since more and more people are building these IDI engines and sharing results, this could be a good thing...

Javier

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I have seen stroker crank kits for the IDI, cam lift is dismal from the OEM, if you regrind will you use an existing cam core to regrind or actually design from scratch a new camshaft with tailored intake and exhaust closing events?
The Lobe seperation for the OEM camshaft may not be the best for a boosted engine.
Since more and more people are building these IDI engines and sharing results, this could be a good thing...

Javier

I think its going to have to be a from scratch scenario, regrinding is just gonna lose material. For the lift that would be needed to really get some air through the motor I would think that I would have to start with a blank and go from there.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I do think the idi has a lot of potential. In reality the one factor its going to boil down to is the fueling. I really want some info on just how much fuel a DB2 can put out. A VP pumped Dodge is limited on its power because of the pump, where as a p pumped Dodge you can get 2000hp with the right pump.

Turbo, cam, crank, pistons........all of that is good and will be needed but the center of everything is the DB2 OR another pump that could be used in its place.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contact or PM type4 about the cam. He regrinds them, might be what your looking for.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM me if your interested in a Super Moose and Moose Mister injectors. Wait a while though until you get all the other info your going to need to decide if you really want to do this build or not. Coming from the Dodge world, you may need some concept adjustments.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a pretty sweet dodge. A good place to start with power would be this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39995 Heath has one of the most powerful IDIs (that we have actual proof of). You can ask him about the different things he has done to his truck. But he was making 202 HP and 461 FT/lbs with Mels Moose products. Im sure youre looking to make way more power than that, but for most of us these trucks are our livelyhood and reliabilty comes before ultimate power.

I really hope you have better luck than Jason over at Diesel Power Mag, im thinking he purchased a dud when he picked out his IDI, with the low numbers he is posting.

Good luck and have fun, I look forward to seeing the build progress.

Chris

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
not gettin scared off, im not expecting to put down 900hp. i just love driving the damn thing, i love the 4 speed and i love the sound and hands down the best body style of ANY truck in my opinion is the 86 F250 regular cab long box. if i could see a reliable 400hp at the rear wheels i would be a happy camper.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is possible to see 400 HP from these engines with the right amount of work. A BD2 injection pump was rated from the factory at 25 HP / Cyl, about 200 HP. Sounds like Mel could get you the fuel if you can support the boost levels needed. What kind of twin turbo setup are you thinking about?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
400hp at the wheels is goin to require upwards of 160cc/1000strokes out of the pump. I bet the DB2 can flow that, but it will require a lot of work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7