Building a 6.9 to kill

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything with 420 ci has alot of wheel standing potential. IMO. just who's got the resources to be a complete custom build. Lets bring her to a new age!!!!!!!!!!! get them parts rollin!!!!

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I think boring would be something to help too, i mean bigger is always better, there is no replacment for displacment, i would say have some custom 17:1 pistons made, either will probly be the only way it gets sarted, stud everything from the mains to the manifolds balance the bottom end for 5000 rpm, deck and alighn like icanfixall says, port and polish the heads, get valve springs that can take high rpm, super moose pump and injectors to match, turbos or your choice im sure you can pick those out, you will probly have to have special gaskets and grade 8 studs for the intake and exhuast manifold of custom headers to take the amount of pressure thats going to go threw this thing, might be safe to get custom rods made, but i have spun stock junk with high milage to around the 4500 rpm range so they can take it for a little while but who knows how long, i have dreams of building an awesome engine but just dont have the money

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like I said--:popcorn And as in the "other forums" not trying to be a **** , but abull78 you better search you ass off!!!!!!!!! You are treading on sacred grounds. I want pics and real questions about things such as.. The headlight relay mod,byppass filtration,gear vendors on a c6 . If you're gonna get 900 hp out of a 6.9/7.3 You needd to ATleast post your rig. (83-86 sclb bone stock 128000mi full service history) If you got the funds, you should get a 84-86...........aaaaahhhhhhhh let's see some pics

Last edited:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
too much to read so my two sense hope i dont restate
twins is ok but youll need lower cr to keep head gaskets
what id do is dish pistons stroke it and run a huge cam
the twins and a high boost will need fire rings with stock cr
after 500 hp the block will allegedly go to jello so get a girdle and id run the psd valve springs so you dont get valve float at high rpms
if you find a storng pusrod id add that too they dont look too strong stock
im building a twin compound idi running 20-30 pounds right now and im using head studs psd springs hot torque cam and stock cr but it will be gradually upped in boost so as not to blow gaskets all over

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
tell me how to post a pic and I will gladly let everyone feast their eyes on what my girlfriend has dubbed "the dirty pickle"

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I think I attached the pics correctly.

Attachments

• DSCN5762.JPG
    DSCN5762.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN5759.JPG
    DSCN5759.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 97

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I think I attached the pics correctly.

Nice! ;Sweet

We definitely need pics of the whole build! No one that we know of personally has built an IDI to make 400 hp so all eyes are on you right now. Most that talk about it just don't have the funds to get it done.
There are some that say it can't be done reliably.
I don't know either way but I will be watching this thread and I wish you luck with it.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
too much to read so my two sense hope i dont restate
twins is ok but youll need lower cr to keep head gaskets
what id do is dish pistons stroke it and run a huge cam
the twins and a high boost will need fire rings with stock cr
after 500 hp the block will allegedly go to jello so get a girdle and id run the psd valve springs so you dont get valve float at high rpms
if you find a storng pusrod id add that too they dont look too strong stock
im building a twin compound idi running 20-30 pounds right now and im using head studs psd springs hot torque cam and stock cr but it will be gradually upped in boost so as not to blow gaskets all over

Tell me about your cam.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Nice! ;Sweet

We definitely need pics of the whole build! No one that we know of personally has built an IDI to make 400 hp so all eyes are on you right now. Most that talk about it just don't have the funds to get it done.
There are some that say it can't be done reliably.
I don't know either way but I will be watching this thread and I wish you luck with it.

Well. i have got a bit of research to do before pulling the trigger on any parts ordering. I did find a 6.9 complete motor that is running and in a truck that i can get for 300 bucks, i figure thats a good buy seing as i can keep running the stocker and start building the other. At the very least its another IP that i can use as a core

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
like I said--:popcorn And as in the "other forums" not trying to be a **** , but abull78 you better search you ass off!!!!!!!!! You are treading on sacred grounds. I want pics and real questions about things such as.. The headlight relay mod,byppass filtration,gear vendors on a c6 . If you're gonna get 900 hp out of a 6.9/7.3 You needd to ATleast post your rig. (83-86 sclb bone stock 128000mi full service history) If you got the funds, you should get a 84-86...........aaaaahhhhhhhh let's see some pics

Pics are up sir, enjoy the dirty pickle!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We can't fire ring these heads. The precups are in the way. I don't think even a cnc mill will be able to design a program to cut it but thats for someone with more smarts than I...:sly The blocks wont turn to jellow at 500 hp either but... Upwards of 850 hp... Probably will need some support. Someone made 1000 or 1100 hp on one of these motors but that really cost plenty of effort. The freeze plugs wouldn't stay in there was so much block flex so they used rubber type plugs.... About studding everything top and bottom end... Probably not needed but if you can sourse the studs then by all means do it. It can't hurt anything but your wallet. The rods and crank are plenty tuff for most any hp too... These blocks are 4 bolt mains with a final torque of 95 lbs. They are tuff down there... At 17 to 1 cr would be way too low. Probably 18 1/2 to 1 is a better place to be....

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
We can't fire ring these heads. The precups are in the way. I don't think even a cnc mill will be able to design a program to cut it but thats for someone with more smarts than I...:sly The blocks wont turn to jellow at 500 hp either but... Upwards of 850 hp... Probably will need some support. Someone made 1000 or 1100 hp on one of these motors but that really cost plenty of effort. The freeze plugs wouldn't stay in there was so much block flex so they used rubber type plugs.... About studding everything top and bottom end... Probably not needed but if you can sourse the studs then by all means do it. It can't hurt anything but your wallet. The rods and crank are plenty tuff for most any hp too... These blocks are 4 bolt mains with a final torque of 95 lbs. They are tuff down there... At 17 to 1 cr would be way too low. Probably 18 1/2 to 1 is a better place to be....

We are in agreement pretty much. I KNOW, there is power in these motors. The 1000hp Hypermax motor proves that, albeit that motor was running a P pump and had some nifty one off stuff on it. The freeze plugs were probably blowing out due to the water pump, that 1000hp motor was spinning up high making that power and water pumps on diesel motors produce X amount of flow at X amount of RPM, when you start spinning them up high, that water pump is putting our some serious pressure. Going wioth an electric water pump would help that issue. Again, I am only trying to get 400hp to the ground, I figure I will be running the motor up to 4500-5000rpm,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online