Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh yea, forgot to mention. Went through all that work to get this thing apart and stayed up late last night pulling the heads so I could take them into the shop today to get done, took off work early to get down there and guess what, lights off, no one home! I was so pissed.

I priced out a quality "re-ring kit" for $441.82 Which includes Sealed power moly rings, Federal Mogul rod, main and cam bearings as well as a Federal Mogul gasket set. I don't think that's too bad. That's still an extra $450 that I hadn't expected to be spending, but I just may do it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I said reboring is needed to get rid of the rust, but if its really that minor, I'll change my vote to make it unanimously in favor of just a light hone and run it. Mine did have a slight ridge on it at about 240k miles but a hone could have probably taken it off. I rebored anyway though because I was able to afford the time and money at the time to make it as close to new as possible. I also found pitting in mine which I am at a loss to explain. Perhaps a similar head gasket failure to this one in a previous life.

With the bearings, I would at least check them and see what condition they are in. If they are still good then just put them back in where they came from and run it. Unless something major went wrong on the bearings or journals, I would expect them to be in very good condition considering the low miles. The Oil pan is sealed with RTV anyway, so no need to get a lower gasket set. Rear cover can also be sealed with RTV if you really want to stretch the pennies.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, forgot to mention. Went through all that work to get this thing apart and stayed up late last night pulling the heads so I could take them into the shop today to get done, took off work early to get down there and guess what, lights off, no one home! I was so pissed.

That's that same as around here, all the machine shops close at noon on fridays. I rebuild a lot of tractor engine (or at least I was before the economy crapped), and I take the blocks and cranks to a local machine shop to be machined, and if someone brings me one, mid-day on a Friday and then thinks they can get it back early the next week, I have to tell then that it just isn't possible.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine you should make sure the pistons are well within limits. Is it really a good idea to put new rings in old bores with used pistons? I'm sure you could get away with it, I'm shocked everyday what I and others have gotten by with in a pinch.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with used pistons, new rings in an old bore with a fresh hone. We do it all the time in the equipment industry.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with used pistons, new rings in an old bore with a fresh hone. We do it all the time in the equipment industry.

+1 on that. As long as all the service limits are still good, there is no need to get new pistons. Putting new rings in an original bore thats been honed is standard procedure. Did that on the diesel ranger engine and its doing fine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
every auto machine shop I've ever been around was very consistent in one thing. aroundabouts noonish on friday is Coor's o'clock;Sweet forget about getting anything done for the rest of the day.LOL
If they weren't getting blotto'd, they would be getting the "racecars" ready for the weekend. ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Frame and firewall cleaned, painted and rubber coated.
You must be registered for see images attach

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Transmission, old exhaust, crossmember and drive shaft out.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Progress over the weekend included making some very difficult decisions concerning my engine rebuild and the extent I was going to go. In the end after discussing my situation and the condition of the motors bearings with several members here (thank you all!) I made the decision to replace the main and rod bearings as well as the piston rings and rehone the cylinders to break the glaze. I think my cam bearings will be just fine, minus I nicked the front one while pulling the cam out. Its about the size of a pin head so I think it will be alright. There is little to no wear in the cam bearings though.
After stripping everything out of the block I pushed it outside and Hotsey'd it off, flushed the thing out good with solvent then sprayed the whole thing down with ZEP oil.
No more getting greased up just walking by the thing! YAY! lol

Since I'm waiting for my bearing and ring kit to get here I worked on some other things including pulling the dash and running all the wires and tubing for my gauges.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the interrior looks good man, it's ironic because my seat has the tear the same exact size in the same exact place... LOL... Good luck man

--

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Haha, yea. That seat wont be in there after next summer though. I was hoping to get it done this year but haven't ran into any good deals on them so I'll just end up buying from a dealer. But I'm gonna install a set of tan leather buckets in it when I get the dough. Ended up putting too much money into the motor and drive train though to do it this year.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did wanna put some racing bucket seats in my truck but it's gonna have to wait because I have to put a new starter in it how much is a new starter gonna run me?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sean, all those gauges reminds me of the first time I layed my hands on a lego set. Ahh, to be 4 years old again......LOL

Nice job with the engine cleaning though.

Somebody say seats? As for the tear, they all rip there because of sliding in and out of the cabin. That part always takes a beating.

Attachments

• IMG_0088 resize.jpg
    IMG_0088 resize.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 65