Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Progress, only one pic, couldn't really take pics of the other stuff.
You must be registered for see images attach

Everything is unbolted and disconnected, I'm all ready to pull it except I decided to pull the radiator support, possibly will install a different one for the taller diesel radiator that's more common and far superior to the 83 only radiator. I'm not sure what would be different between a radiator support from a 93/4 truck and an 83 one like I have. Hopefully all my stuff will bolt to it if I can find one. Does anyone know?

Anyway, its all ready to go. I think I'll thank myself for pulling that radiator support, gonna make the whole thing so much easier.
Big thanks to Calvin (towcat) for answering the phone whenever I need something. :thumbsup:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats one of the best feelings I've had in a long while. I'm really sorry I felt you had lost your Dad and others with feelings for you ran with it. Sorry guys... I didn't know. But on the good side of things all is well in Nebraska...:sly Sorry Sean... It just sounded like something had happened that I missed...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would add that I would replace the crank, rod, and cam bearings as well as the pistion rings while you had it appart. They are really rather cheap for new parts and will provide you with piece of mind and a long service life out of the rebuild.;Sweet

Heath

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Sean,

I am very glad it was a huge misunderstanding by the group. Good luck, and I glad he is coming back soon!!!

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Progress, only one pic, couldn't really take pics of the other stuff.

Everything is unbolted and disconnected, I'm all ready to pull it except I decided to pull the radiator support, possibly will install a different one for the taller diesel radiator that's more common and far superior to the 83 only radiator. I'm not sure what would be different between a radiator support from a 93/4 truck and an 83 one like I have. Hopefully all my stuff will bolt to it if I can find one. Does anyone know?

Anyway, its all ready to go. I think I'll thank myself for pulling that radiator support, gonna make the whole thing so much easier.
Big thanks to Calvin (towcat) for answering the phone whenever I need something. :thumbsup:

I would like to ask a favor if you haven't already removed all the core support components. Is there any way you could take a pic of the back of the core support showing where the A/C lines go through with the wide radiator? My truck has the wide radiator and I am going to be putting A/C back on it and I just want to see how the a/c hoses were routed with that radiator. My lines used to go beside the radiator at the top of the core support when it had the gas engine (and narrow radiator), but I haven't gotten around to putting a/c back on it since doing the swap.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sure man, here ya go.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Didn't get a whole lot done today. Came home from work and it started raining. I did get some work in though for a couple hours. But it started raining again and had to quit for the night.

The radiator support didn't come out of there without putting up a good fight. Ended up cutting the bolts and part of one of the bushings up to get it off.
Here it was just before it started raining again.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unrelated, but I noticed the front of the frame rails do not have the OEM parts to box them off near the front shackles for the leaf springs. Does anyone think this is something to worry about? I'm currently mulling over my own 4wd conversion.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that.
I have the passenger side one I cut from the frame I pulled all the brackets from. I'll be welding that in while this is all going down as well. Everyone told me not to worry about it but I kinda need the boxed in frame to mount some stuff to, so Im putting it on.
The drivers side rail has the boxed frame, you just cant see it because they don't run all the way up to the shackles.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to be the same on rangers of the era. 4wd are boxed on both sides at the front, while 2wd are only boxed on the driver's side near the steering box. Was the boxed part on the passenger side wielded or riveted? I've seen them on wreckers but can't quite picture it now.

I agree that it probably won't make much difference but would still be nice to have it "all there".

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Welded and riveted actually. Welded to the rail and there's a bent portion that curves in front of the cross member that was riveted to it. I'll be welding the whole thing. I drilled enough holes in this thing to last a lifetime, not doing any more. lol

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure man, here ya go.

Thanks,

That is how I figured I would have to route mine. I was hoping there was a better way but I guess if I can go to a junkyard and find those factory lines, then I should be in business, but that will probably be unlikely. I will probably just have to have some lines made.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Dad came home!

Well here's a little update. Beautiful day today, and got allot done so far.
Engine is out and I'm gonna go pull the heads on it when I'm done writing this.

I started working on it at about 4:30 this afternoon and just as I finished hooking up the engine hoist, my dad pulls up the drive! It's hard to explain but it feels so much better working on stuff with my dad around.
As you can see in one of the pics, his lunch box and luggage bag sitting beside the truck, he didn't even go to the house, first thing he did was come over and start helping me. :angel: Gotta love dad.

Here's a pic showing the brand new exhaust system that has less than 1500 miles on it. That exhaust added an EASY 15hp to the engine. Its a 3" mandrel bent system straight from the Y pipe all the way back with a 4" direct flow muffler. That was custom made at a performance custom exhaust shop in IA and cost over $700. I'm trying to get my brother to buy it from me for grandpas truck restoration. lol

So anyway its out and I'm gonna tare into it right now.
See ya'll later.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good. Really curious to see what the internals are like.

I was able to pull my engine without removing the rad support, but we have an overhead shop chain hoist to be able to lift it high enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7