Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

woody58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im sorry for your loss, i lost my dad 9 years ago, and if you have a question for your dad go ahead and ask him im sure youll get an answer. good luck with the build;Sweet

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im sorry for your loss, i lost my dad 9 years ago, and if you have a question for your dad go ahead and ask him im sure youll get an answer. good luck with the build;Sweet
It's a shame you didn't read the whole thread *****. His dad was away not dead. He also came home today.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay, stripped her down, and here's what I found.
The pictures speak for themselves.
You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see, the head gasket was in fact blown between the two low number cylinders. There's a BUNCH of water in the back cylinder on the blown side and a tiny bit on the non blown side. I'd say the non blown side wouldn't have been so for very long.

Not sure what to do with the rusty cylinders, as you can see, or atleast I tried to show it, the rest of the cylinders still have perfect crosshatching in them and absolutely no groove at the top whatsoever.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pour some diesel or spray something like wd40 in the holes. It'll cut through the rusty crap and keep the cylinders from more rust until you get the heads back from the machine shop

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use something like PB blaster or the like on a rag to scrub the rust out of the cylinder, it shouldn't be bad enough for you to need much more. If it is much worse maybe you could get it out with a really fine scotch brite. If it is any worse than that , then you probably need to hone it.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only real way to get rid of that rust is to bore it out to the next size up. If its really mild then some hoing might do it but I have my doubts. Shame to have to rebore from complications of a head gasket failure. As others have said, oil the crap out of it to prevent any further damage.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, I don't know what it's like to loose a dad but I know whats it's like not to have one, I know what it's like to loose a brother figure...... my long time best friend Matt joined the navy about 2 years ago, were still close but we don't get to see each other anymore because were both busy, we talk on myspace most the time....

you find out who your friends are, someone gonna drop everything run out and crank up their car.....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right answer but I had rust in my bores when I did head gaskets just from moisture getting in there while the heads were off. I even oiled everything, and it did not matter. My engine had factory crosshatching but did have a slight ridge at the top. I tried to get rid of the rust with a scotchbrite and put this ever so shallow scratch in the bore and figured that was a horrible idea and I would just live with a bit of rust. It ran perfectly after I got over the stupid newbie mistakes of getting the timing out of whack and buying cheap injection pumps. It does have more blowby than before the heads were done, and the rust may have been part of the reason for that. Does anyone think his rust will still be there after he puts that engine back together properly and loads those rings a time or two? I have no experience so I'm not sure!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I really don't want to have to bore this thing. I do that and I'm getting into ALLOT more money than what I'd expected going into this deal. At the most, I'd be willing to put a drill hone down it and rehone the cylinders and install new rings. But didn't really want to even do that. I'll clean that cylinder up today and see how bad it is and I'll make my decision.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little bit of surface rust is nothing. Just blow the cylinders out with compressed air then soak with a good solvent. Diesel in the cylinders is how I used to get engines that sat for a long time to turn over again when seized up.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should at least hone the cylinders with a good drill driven three stone hone. Again, you really should replace all the bearings while you have it apart. Even a little water will damage the bearings. For piece of mind, replace the crank, rod, and cam bearings.

Heath

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If bucks are tight, clean it up and run it. It isnt the perfect way but it WILL work. I have put some nasty stuff together on orders from the boss and you would be surprised what you can get away with.
I would scothbrite it, clean and lube and put the heads back on and load it up real good and reseat the rings.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well, I'm seriously considering atleast putting in new rings (modern Sealed Power ones) since the 6.9 rings were never known to be the best, and rehoning the cylinders for the new rings. There is absolutely no ridge in the cylinders from wear, its pretty obvious this was in fact a 90k mile engine, and those are the original head gaskets too, pretty amazing those lasted that long.
But anyway, since there is no wear ridge I see no reason to bore it. The cylinder with the rust isn't bad, its smooth and no pits are apparent. So I think honing would make it perfect again.
As far as bearings go, I'd like to replace them but I'm stretching my dollar right now and we'll see where I land here when I get finished with the project budget tonight. I've modified it so many times now a budget is absolutely useless for me except for giving me a rough idea on what I may spend.
So just for price estimate reasons, who makes the best bearings.
Only thing is, if I get into it that far I may as well buy one of those rebuilt sets with all the gaskets and everything...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online