Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Here it is guys. The new brown truck under the knife thread.
I decided it was time, and I wanted my truck back so Im biting the bullet and tearing this thing down. I'll be installing my turbo kit, moose pump, and if I can swing it an intercooler.
I'm undergoing this one without the help of my dad as he's gone. This is the first time I've done something so extensive without the help of my dad.
Started on it this afternoon at about 3pm. Didn't get very far. My dad would have had the engine completely ready to pull. Oh well, makes me miss my dad more and appreciate all the help he gave me in the past.
Start
You must be registered for see images attach

End

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is guys. The new brown truck under the knife thread.
I decided it was time, and I wanted my truck back so Im biting the bullet and tearing this thing down. I'll be installing my turbo kit, moose pump, and if I can swing it an intercooler.
I'm undergoing this one without the help of my dad as he's gone. This is the first time I've done something so extensive without the help of my dad.
Started on it this afternoon at about 3pm. Didn't get very far. My dad would have had the engine completely ready to pull. Oh well, makes me miss my dad more and appreciate all the help he gave me in the past.
Start

End

Looks like you are making progress. Did your dad pass, if so I am sorry for your loss.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry about your Dad... I missed that somehow. I recall the pics you posted of Dad, you and your brother finishing a truck. That was a memeory you can keep. My father has been gone now 10 years. I still get into trouble sometimes and think I'll just give Dad a call and he will know what to do... Then I remember my loss and it really hurts all over again. But look at it this way.. We did have our Dad for some hopefully great times. Now we carry on as if they are still with us..... You know we can answer any question you have here but I know its not the same as asking Dad... Just take a long look at what you are doing and the mistakes wont happen... If they do post them here. I know how to turn up a pump but... After I did 4 months ago my truck smoked worse. It took me around 8 days to figure out what I did. I turned the pump up instead of down. It took me that long going over and over everything it did. Finally I saw the lite and found my mistake... I got a big laugh from it and posted it here so others could see where I made a mistake. I'm human too but sometimes I feel superhuman.... Till the pain sets in the next morning.... Others here without pointing fingers can relate to the pain of finding out they are not superhuman.....:sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good start. What are you planning? A complete rebuild as well?

Keep us up to date. And I'm sorry to hear about your father.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn Sean.. your words make me feel like a ghost. Almost as if I were gone and my own son was saying them.... wierd. Sorry for your loss. We've all either been there, or will be eventually. I'm doing my best to make sure my absence wouldn't be a show stopper for my kids. Good luck with the tear down.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Sorry for you loss. I lost my dad recently as well. It is tough. I often have questions, and almost pick up the phone to ask my dad, then i realize he is gone. The thing to do is, make him proud! Do the best ya can, i doubt he would be dissapointed in that.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss Sean. Keep you head up, and just remember your Dad is there working on the truck with you, you may not be able to see him, but he is there. Keep everything he taught you in mind, and you will get through anything you do.

Good luck on the truck, use it to show what you can do with the help he has given you, all your life.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Damn man! I wrote a post this morning clarifying this and for whatever reason it didn't get posted. :(
Oh well. Anyway.
Im very sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean for it to come across the way it has apparently came for most of you. My dad didn't pass away, he's been out of the state working for quite some time and working on this by myself makes me miss him all the more. Trust me, if my dad had passed, you'd all have known about it before a thread making a passing remark about it. lol To be honest, I don't even know what I'd do if my dad wasn't around anymore and wasn't simply out of town. I'd be pretty lost.
Anyway. Hopefully this one posts and we'll get this clarified without too many people being upset at me over the confusion.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm glad we misunderstood the situation. It's not like you misled us or anything, we just jumped to the worst possible conclusion. I'm sure you're well capable of handling the build yourself. Please take lots of pics and document it as there are a lot of guys here that haven't built engines yet(like me) but would like to.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Here's the 'to do' list for the engine.
Pull heads and rebuild with new valves, springs and retainers where needed. Install new valve guides and seats, double or triple angle cut valves. Install 7.3 rocker system.
New cam if needed, lifters and pushrods will be replaced regardless.
Pull lower end to inspect bearings, replace if necessary (doubt).
Check for excessive ring or cylinder wear (doubt)
Install new oil pump, old one was beginning to read low.
Install new 7.3 turbo oil cooler.
Weld oil pan bung for oil temp gauge.
Install heads with new gaskets and ARP head studs.
Install ceramic coated exhaust manifolds with Pyromter.
Install Moose pump and new injectors.
Install Non wastegated ATS turbo system.
Install intercooler system with Extreme Velocity intake system if money permits.
Install crankcase evacuation system, into exhaust.
Wire in new tach sensor to engine harness.
Install Holley electric fuel pump.
Rebuild AC system.

Other non engine related items for the project.
Install ZF5spd drive line, which includes new Valeo flywheel/clutch, kevlar pilot bearing.
Install BW1356 transfer case, custom drive shaft and skid plate.
Install auxiliary gauges.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Here's the 'to do' list for the engine.
Pull heads and rebuild with new valves, springs and retainers where needed. Install new valve guides and seats, double or triple angle cut valves. Install 7.3 rocker system.
New cam if needed, lifters and pushrods will be replaced regardless.
Pull lower end to inspect bearings, replace if necessary (doubt).
Check for excessive ring or cylinder wear (doubt)
Install new oil pump, old one was beginning to read low.
Install new 7.3 turbo oil cooler.
Weld oil pan bung for oil temp gauge.
Install heads with new gaskets and ARP head studs.
Install ceramic coated exhaust manifolds with Pyromter.
Install Moose pump and new injectors.
Install Non wastegated ATS turbo system.
Install intercooler system with Extreme Velocity intake system if money permits.
Install crankcase evacuation system, into exhaust.
Wire in new tach sensor to engine harness.
Install Holley electric fuel pump.
Rebuild AC system.

Other non engine related items for the project.
Install ZF5spd drive line, which includes new Valeo flywheel/clutch, kevlar pilot bearing.
Install BW1356 transfer case, custom drive shaft and skid plate.
Install auxiliary gauges.

that should be a good running truck then;Sweet