Anyone swap back to throttle cable?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way a small metal pedal with a few plastic sensors and plugs should cost 397.23
I agree...although I firmly believe that mechanics...the majority of them, deserve to make a decent living as good or better than those that 'work' in a comfy, climate-controlled, air purified office...the prices on parts seem to me to represent only the fact that you 'gotta have them' in order to make your vehicle run and pass emission standards...

Case in point...a TPMS system that is malfunctioning will cost you dearly to fix...especially if you have tires that still have a lot of life in them...

Do you think that you are going to be able to de-mount your tires, put in new sensors, and then re-mount the tires and then balance them and have the tires not suffer any damage and/or be able to hold air when you are done..?

...just to not be nagged by the 'warning' display on the instrument panel...?

Screw that...I can work a tire guage...and any driver out there ought to be able to do the same...should be one of the first tasks to be learned before you get your drivers license...

This whole culture of having everything 'done for you' is turning the driving public into a bunch of clueless you-know-whats...

Sorry guys...pet peeve...you know how it is...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think that you are going to be able to de-mount your tires, put in new sensors, and then re-mount the tires and then balance them and have the tires not suffer any damage and/or be able to hold air when you are done..?
Most definitely, only time I go to a tire shop is if I notice a low tire when I'm at work. I do wish that I had a tire machine, I do all of mine with a slide bead breaker and tire irons. Only time I have tires balanced is when I notice a vibration.

On the TPMS, last vehicle I had with them I used a hammer to remove the sensors so it didn't require as much weight to get the tires balanced.

James

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No fear of drive by wire, it's just junk. Simple cable has worked forever, now replaced by 2 or more failure points followed by throttle lag and rely on a copper wire to transmit a signal easily chewed through by rodents. Not all truck owners live in the city. We can go back and fourth on that one all day and never reach a resolution of opinion I'm sure. I'm 36 and the majority of vehicles I grew up with were drive by wire and never been fond of it. Just another way of making sure average Joe doesn't want to work on his own vehicle so some shop can take him for all he has. IL take the advise to use oem cause it makes since. Never used amazon stuff on my trucks but guilty of using chain stores products such as auto zone napa and orilys. I just hate stealership prices cause they are no better than the mechanics about overcharging. No way a small metal pedal with a few plastic sensors and plugs should cost 397.23
you can source oem quality parts on the internet if you know what to look for. A dealership probably doesn't even stock parts anymore for trucks that are at least 21 years or older now.

throttle lag? nope

precise fueling, timing, etc to get maximum power and economy? yup

I've got over 500k miles between both my 7.3 PSD and they've never left me stranded. I've replaced the CPS and ICP on my 97 once with international replacement parts. I've replaced the EOT sensor once on my 99 also with an oem international part. Both trucks are still on original injectors, getting 18+ mpg on the highway.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
you can source oem quality parts on the internet if you know what to look for. A dealership probably doesn't even stock parts anymore for trucks that are at least 21 years or older now.

throttle lag? nope

precise fueling, timing, etc to get maximum power and economy? yup

I've got over 500k miles between both my 7.3 PSD and they've never left me stranded. I've replaced the CPS and ICP on my 97 once with international replacement parts. I've replaced the EOT sensor once on my 99 also with an oem international part. Both trucks are still on original injectors, getting 18+ mpg on the highway.
Yes throttle lag. My 2016 6.7 has throttle lag, my 07 5.3 ls tahoe has throttle lag, my 97 ps has throttle lag. Can't argue facts. My 97 5.7 tahoe doesn't have throttle lag and neither does any of my 6.9 or 7.3 idi's have throttle lag and I'm up to 13 of those in my fleet alone. And you can argue all you want and deny the irrefutable FACTS, but that in itself doesn't change the FACT that drive by wire has throttle lag or else there wouldn't be specific tunes to minimize throttle lag!

Black dawg

Reaction score
Sounds like you have had a bad run of parts. Try an oem one from a junk yard? That system is relatively trouble free, have replaced far more idi throttle cables than pedal assy, or tps sensors in the 7.3 powerstroke.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Sounds like you have had a bad run of parts. Try an oem one from a junk yard? That system is relatively trouble free, have replaced far more idi throttle cables than pedal assy, or tps sensors in the 7.3 powerstroke.
Yeah, tried that rout a good while back. It was already bad as soon as I got it into my truck. Already bought one from the stealership. Guess il just have to see how long this one lasts. That's odd you've had to replace many throttle cables on those idis. Had all mine for quite some time and never had to replace but one of mine. And it still only costed 35 bucks. Had to basically add a 0 behind that price to replace this one this particular time.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
What problems are you having?
Quite literally just a dead pedal out of nowhere. Let off and hit it again, nothing still. Turn truck off and back on, still dead pedal. Unplug and plug back in, still nothing. Replace it, works for a week or a few months, then dead pedal again. Rinse, re-purchase, repeat. Did a zf5 swap just a month or so ago and took the pcm, wiring harness from ENTIRE donor truck from headlight to tail light, underhood and under dash(under dash looked like a rat nest, and figured wiring was an issue causing the dead pedal repeat problems, also where I got my used pedal from that was also dead) now my guage cluster functions and everything worked as it should, except the throttle till I just got the stealership pedal assymbly. But for how long is my question? Keep running into the same issue.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will throw my experience in on this. I don't believe what you're experiencing would be considered throttle lag, it is just the way the factory tuning is. With good tuning the turbo lag is all I experience, I currently have 2 obs 7.3's and 2 superduty 7.3's and just recently sold my other superduty due to major rust issues.

I cannot speak for any drive by wire gas vehicles because I refuse to own anything with a modular block engine.

As for all of your failing sensors, and with what you have said has already been changed. Only thing I can think of to check out would be to make sure that all of your grounds are good. My other thought would be to make sure your alternator is only producing clean DC voltage, any AC output from the alternator will cause all kinds of sensor and pcm malfunctions.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of to check out would be to make sure that all of your grounds are good. My other thought would be to make sure your alternator is only producing clean DC voltage, any AC output from the alternator will cause all kinds of sensor and pcm malfunctions.
I sympathize with you Mr. Frankenwrench...electronic components wear out without a lot of warning and cause untold problems and misery...

Some vehicles have 'factory authorized' problems and driveability issues straight out of the gate...and the dealerships are saddled with trying to make things right with the customer...who plunked down his hard-earned money (a LOT of it) and trusted the manufacturer to stand behind their claims and promises..this is why we have a thriving aftermarket that loves to fix things that the manufacturers won't...

Still...I can't help but think that there must be some common thread with your problems...but what bites with that is that it looks like you are going to have to go through your electronic system...circuit by circuit... to straighten things out and get your truck useable.

I lost interest with getting a newer Ford truck when I saw that folks were having to LIFT THE CAB...!! (WTH..!!??) TO DO ANY WORK UNDER THE HOOD...???....!!! I thought about writing a letter to Ford to express my disgust about that issue...but it will probably fall on deaf ears...

Years ago I got a lot of value when I attended this mans seminar...

The guy knows his stuff and he made my life a lot easier...

Yeah...it starts off with basic stuff...but sometimes ya just gotta get back to the basics when you are starting to feel like you want to push the darn thing off of a cliff...

I wish you success on this and hope all works out well...

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I will throw my experience in on this. I don't believe what you're experiencing would be considered throttle lag, it is just the way the factory tuning is. With good tuning the turbo lag is all I experience, I currently have 2 obs 7.3's and 2 superduty 7.3's and just recently sold my other superduty due to major rust issues.

I cannot speak for any drive by wire gas vehicles because I refuse to own anything with a modular block engine.

As for all of your failing sensors, and with what you have said has already been changed. Only thing I can think of to check out would be to make sure that all of your grounds are good. My other thought would be to make sure your alternator is only producing clean DC voltage, any AC output from the alternator will cause all kinds of sensor and pcm malfunctions.

James
I will check the grounds again, and never thought about voltage type. Thank you! Definately should check that. But the second and a half delay between my foot applying pressure to the pedal (weather applying light pressure or stomping it to the floor) and the tachometer moving or any change in engine noise is what I call "throttle lag". Did the same thing with other pcm as well. My 6.7 ps isn't as bad, but still there with delay. Was the same with the ls 5.3 that is bone factory stock minus the throttle command I have plugged into the obd2 port that has corrected the lack of timely response of the go pedal. Just ran the wiring from the manual doner truck, but il check all the grounds again and clean them again as well. Never hurts. I have a simple volt meter with 12dc setting, how would I look for ac voltage being produced? I would ask how that would even happen, but one issue at a time. Lol.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I agree, that something is causing the repeat failures, I work on these regularly, and have worked on that part so little that I dont even know any suggestions....

As far as throttle lag, I dont know what to call it, but these early 7.3 powerstrokes for sure do have some throttle weirdness, pretty annoying if you get one with a manual trans stuck and are trying to rock it back and forth. I think they were trying to keep them well on the side of smokeless, and in doing so makes them feel like the engine is behind on the tps movement. Some trucks are far worse than others for some reason.

My experience with alot of tuners to cure "throttle lag", is that they just make more happen per tps voltage.....also maxing out before wot. Is easy to see on a scan tool.

As far as lifting cabs off, after doing the first one, I look at every single truck (any year ford chevy dodge) when it needs serious engine work, to see if lifting the cab is feasable. It is so stupid easy on the fords, that I look forward to those jobs......

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I sympathize with you Mr. Frankenwrench...electronic components wear out without a lot of warning and cause untold problems and misery...

Some vehicles have 'factory authorized' problems and driveability issues straight out of the gate...and the dealerships are saddled with trying to make things right with the customer...who plunked down his hard-earned money (a LOT of it) and trusted the manufacturer to stand behind their claims and promises..this is why we have a thriving aftermarket that loves to fix things that the manufacturers won't...

Still...I can't help but think that there must be some common thread with your problems...but what bites with that is that it looks like you are going to have to go through your electronic system...circuit by circuit... to straighten things out and get your truck useable.

I lost interest with getting a newer Ford truck when I saw that folks were having to LIFT THE CAB...!! (WTH..!!??) TO DO ANY WORK UNDER THE HOOD...???....!!! I thought about writing a letter to Ford to express my disgust about that issue...but it will probably fall on deaf ears...

Years ago I got a lot of value when I attended this mans seminar...

The guy knows his stuff and he made my life a lot easier...

Yeah...it starts off with basic stuff...but sometimes ya just gotta get back to the basics when you are starting to feel like you want to push the darn thing off of a cliff...

I wish you success on this and hope all works out well...
I agree with getting back to basics. Still believe in the k.i.s.s. method to start with. Il check the link you provided to see if there is something stupid simple I am forgetting or overlooking. Thank you for that by the way. But it could verry well be possible im overlooking something. Just want my pedal to work without replacing around every corner. Lol. In meantime, I may just follow the advise to order another one from stealership and throw under the back seat for just in case purposes till I find out weather it's a grounding problem, voltage issue, operator error, etc.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I agree, that something is causing the repeat failures, I work on these regularly, and have worked on that part so little that I dont even know any suggestions....

As far as throttle lag, I dont know what to call it, but these early 7.3 powerstrokes for sure do have some throttle weirdness, pretty annoying if you get one with a manual trans stuck and are trying to rock it back and forth. I think they were trying to keep them well on the side of smokeless, and in doing so makes them feel like the engine is behind on the tps movement. Some trucks are far worse than others for some reason.

My experience with alot of tuners to cure "throttle lag", is that they just make more happen per tps voltage.....also maxing out before wot. Is easy to see on a scan tool.

As far as lifting cabs off, after doing the first one, I look at every single truck (any year ford chevy dodge) when it needs serious engine work, to see if lifting the cab is feasable. It is so stupid easy on the fords, that I look forward to those jobs......
I almost don't even care about the throttle weirdness/lag/ whatever people are calling it, anymore. Lol. Just want to not have to replace it all the time. The chain store part may be the culprit, something in the charging or wiring is causing them to fail, not sure which or of it is a combo. Either way I'm just frustrated, and my wallet is getting slimmer. Some other members have made a few suggestions that I need to check and see if I goofed, or I overlooked something goofed. I may have solved the issue by getting oem from stealership. I'm not sure yet. Just have to check a few things, and if they don't turn up anything wait and see with new installed. Or fix anything that I am able to find out of whack

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you what it is......I saw a movie years ago called "Maximum Overdrive", I think it was based on a true story, but you'll have to excuse my memory (before I met Jesus, I used a lot of drugs in my formative years) but stuff like this was happening all the time in the movie. AC/DC did the sound track and actually had Angus Young instamentals...........weird.......

And I might add....." throttle by wire", yuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online