Sticky Throttle

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Periodically noticing that my throttle is sticking. I put a new cable on it years ago, however i wonder if this is a cable issue of pump problem. This truck also recently started making a noticeably louder ticking noise. Not sure if they're related or not??? I bought a new set of CDD "stock" injectors however have not installed them yet. Seems to run great, so no functionality problems, just the tick and occasional throttle sticking. For quite a few years I did run a lot of WMO mixture in this engine however haven't for several years now. Any ideas? Thinking about dumping a quart of AFT in one tank and see if that has any affect.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you notice it stick more when cold (both engine and air temp)

How do you relieve it? Lift the pedal with your foot?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the throttle seems to stick can you manually return it to idle at the pump?

If yes, unhook the cable and work the throttle by hand at the pump and see if it sticks at all. If not replaced the cable. If so hit all of the external linkages with a good penetrating oil.

If you can't manually return it at the pump I would do an atf treatment on the pump because the metering valve is likely sticking.

James

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pumping the throttle doesn't seem to make a difference. This injection pump and injectors have been in place for 10 years and nearly 100'000 miles on mostly wmo mix so if i need to replace both I'm OK with it. Ticking seems to be present both warm and cold therefore I'm hoping it's not valvle trian. Bottom end has a ton of miles.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pumping the throttle doesn't seem to make a difference. This injection pump and injectors have been in place for 10 years and nearly 100'000 miles on mostly wmo mix so if i need to replace both I'm OK with it. Ticking seems to be present both warm and cold therefore I'm hoping it's not valvle trian. Bottom end has a ton of miles.
I have ticking after my cold idle advance shuts off. Thought I had a bad lifter, but I replaced all those today and the damn thing still ticks. I’m wondering if one of my new injectors is faulty. I at first thought it was an exhaust leak, but replaced the manifolds and it still ticked. Then replaced lifters. Still ticks. Might have to look into having injectors sent off to Russ…

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI man I was lucky, when I bought my van had an injector ticking and did the ATF treatment and what not to no avail. Then I was underneath greasing it and low and behold, cracked y pipe right in front of my face. :rotflmao

So My wallet chalked that up as a win !!

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI man I was lucky, when I bought my van had an injector ticking and did the ATF treatment and what not to no avail. Then I was underneath greasing it and low and behold, cracked y pipe right in front of my face. :rotflmao

So My wallet chalked that up as a win !!
Are these any good? My pipes are leaking at each slip joint. Frustrating.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231216-091647_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231216-091647_Chrome.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 3

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is the metering valve sticking I've had pretty good luck with Hotshots Extreme fuel cleaner. The pump on Tank is starting to show it's age and a dose of that stuff whips it back into shape for a little bit longer when things start sticking. It's not enjoying sitting not getting driven.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is the better brand? I just happened to find these on Amazon.

I just bought whatever Napa had last time. I wasn't knocking that brand just never heard of them. I think Walker is all I've ever used but that doesn't mean they're great, just the only ones I've tried.

I needed 4 inch and they were $14 on Amazon or $18 at Napa made in USA stamped on the box so I was happy not needing to wait for them to show up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online