Blown hat seal

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Already repaired.
Little history: Been hearing a some what screeching noise that sounded very similar to a heater blower motor with bad bushings. Other symptoms were stuff like not building boost as quick after 5ish with a slight loss on the top number, truck was sluggish and seemed a little down over all on power. Would also see my boost gauge flutter a little in the double digits. There was no extra smoke. Also had no noticeable difference in mpg's but I mainly run the truck in town.
I searched through a lot of failed turbo and hat seal leaking threads, they pretty much all ended up being not very useful as they had no similarities like they had no boost registering or some catastrophic failure of a oil seal or OP did not give a good description in the first place. Finally found myself with some time and enough motivation to dig out the step stool and start poking around. Turbo was fine but I saw just a bit too much rubber sticking out from under the hat. After resetting the gasket, no more screech owl under the hood, trucks back to it's former self and then some. With the sound that was coming from through the fire wall it was hard to imagine it was just that seal making all that racket. Just goes to show, start with the simple stuff.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised the sounds pressurized exhausts and intakes can make.

Bought a 2003 4x4 6.0 with a screeching sound for cheap because everyone that came over told him it needed a new turbo.

It was a loose up-pipe. Disassembled everything, deleted my EGR, and reassembled.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I drove home from the 2009 rally I was listening to a turbo wine getting louder and louder as I drove thru Kingman AZ. So about 25 miles farther on I found a rest stop.. Nobody around so I felt fine stopping. Left engine running and went looking for the sound... Wow... Found the intake from the filter to the turbo was not clamped tightly and parts allowing unfilter air getting into the turbo...:eek: The gap was about 1/4 inch. Shut down engine. A 5/16 socket on a 1/4 drive wratched fixed that. Did I ever say I hate working on hot engines in the middle of the hot desert....:mad: Well drove off with out any turbo wine... Till I really got into it.... Then the old girl sings out loudly telling me ... MORE... Give it to me baby.. I can take it.... MORE you little bad boy...:eek::rotflmao;Really:sly:dunnocookoo

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.......hot desert....:mad: Well drove off with out any turbo wine... Till I really got into it.... Then the old girl sings out loudly telling me ... MORE... Give it to me baby.. I can take it.... MORE you little bad boy...:eek::rotflmao;Really:sly:dunnocookoo
:rotflmao I'm really glad I wasn't drinking something when I read that.

Iluvtruenos- that in all honesty was what I was afraid of by the way it sounded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle