Leaking valve covers

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Alright so with my engine build I installed new valve cover gaskets.

I haven't even hit 100 miles yet and they're already weeping oil everywhere.

Is there some sort of ancient Chinese secret to making these suckers not leak? My valve covers are not bent or anything.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put them on snug but NOT over tight. RTV them on if you don't need to get into the valve covers. BOTH sides of the gasket.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only "secret" I found was having straight metal and re-tightening them after years of neglect. I don't know the spec but I remember it being in the inch-pound category, super light.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you remember those wide triangle washers that spread the load at each bolt hole? If not, that'll do it.

Also if over-tightened the washers will bow and you'll want to flip them over when you go to re-tighten them so they aren't squishing the covers funny. (or put in a vice/hammer to straighten)

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried rubber they leaked for me, corked worked for me. I put the right stuff on the valve cover side, no leaks for 6 months so far.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
With the rubber ones, you need to tighten them tighter than the recommended spec. I use my 1/4" drive air ratchet to tighten them down. It's rated at 30 lb/ft and I tighten them as tight as it will go. I don't use any sealant and they don't leak.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the rubber ones, you need to tighten them tighter than the recommended spec. I use my 1/4" drive air ratchet to tighten them down. It's rated at 30 lb/ft and I tighten them as tight as it will go. I don't use any sealant and they don't leak.
That echoes my experience a bit. Mostly I had a helluva time getting the back bolt or two tight enough on the passenger side. I switched to a cork gasket with a little High-Tack and so far so good, but I did also get more torque on the rearmost bolts. When I removed the old rubber gaskets there was no RTV and I'm guessing they had held for a long time because they were brittle and cracked easily.

And be sure to tighten them with the appropriate bolt sequence.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So they were a little tight. I loosened them all up and tightened them again, but not as tight. Only using a 1/4 ratchet so I imagine its not much.

Guess we'll see if it helps....