big oil leak into compressor?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a perplexing problem recently occurred. Still got the S366 on the engine, no axial play, but started noticing alot of blue smoke while idling. I go to drain my catch can and the thing pours out almost 2 quarts, way over its capacity. Also all my seals started leaking. Ok, so it filled up all the way plugged the crankcase vent and started blowing seals.

However, I used to be able to go almost a month (same amount o f driving) and only drain 1/2 a cup from it. Now this thing almost emptied out my oil pan in a week! i take the charge piping off, run it at idle and i see oil slobbering out into the compressor outlet. Rev it up and it ***** oil out. Ok so its leaking...but why?
It was fine for 15k miles, there is no crankcase restriction. Its a -4 line no restrictor. I can put a restrictor in there..but if it was oil pressure or volume issue..wouldnt this have shown itself in the first few miles of turbo install?
These turbos dont have a paper gaskets, its a steel circlip ring, so it cant just get blown out.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-12 into a 1" npt bung in center valley directly under turbo

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What did you do with the valley pan? Poke any new drain holes?
I know everyone says the new one are fine, but you never know. And maybe the s366 flows more oil through, which in turn causes a back up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes i drilled 4 more 7/16 holes under the drain.
i ordered a restrictor to try it out..but why was it fine and now not? feed is rear of block with 1/8 npt, and -4 line feeding it.

But..why is the catch can all full, so quickly?!?

Will also do compression check tonight to verify no extreme blowby..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I couldn't say on the catch can filling faster.
Unless some reason all of a sudden there's a spike in oil pressure.
Extreme crankcase pressure is the only thing that would make sense for the symptoms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perhaps I have a stuck ring from when I was running pure oil as a fuel source. I will check comp tonight, if I have a bad hole I will spray some kroil down there, crank it a bit and wait a day or two to retest.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is your catch can situated? Any chance the oil from the turbo is running into it after you park?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is below the turbo. about halfway up the block. Dont think so though, the oil collects in the bottom of the compressor housing on shut down, not very much either..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did a conpression check. Ip unhooked all gp out. lowest was 370, all others 390-400. Except cyl 1..i was cranking it up to 8-9 times each hole, this thing got up to 500..?? I didnt get around to pulling the valve covers but may be an exhaust valve issue where its not opening up correctly?

Alos here are pics of my glowplugs. Less than 1000 miles on them. The singles out one is #8.. Look how chewed that thing is! last time i checked my timing i was at 8.5. Engine sounds fine when idling and driving too, loud cackle when cold on cold advance but nothing crazy with cold advance off.

Also blew into the oil feed line to turbo, the only place air comes out is out of the fill cap..so its draining just fine..
Never had any weird oil pressure issues..

Also this thing SUCKS to start in the cold, hexk it barely wants to light off at +10!
Glowplug circuit works and all these plugs work too. Glow for 10s and have to crank for 10s, glow again then it will couch to life withib 5 seconds.. But.. Clearly its not compression...

I have justins stage 1 injectors and an u known mile pump..no hot start issues though...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those do not look like happy glow plugs to me. Maybe your hydraulic oil experiment was rough on them??

:dunno

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
indeed the oil experiment killed my old ones. These are brand new. Ive had at least 5 full tanks of regular diesel through em with a full bottle of howes in each tank..
and they all work on the test bench.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could leaky injectors do this? could they make cold starting hard?

Ive never heard of a failing IP being hard to start cold, but easy to start warm?

Could this be the injectors doing?

so there are muliple issues here.
-oil gushing past compressor seal
-catch can filling up extremely fast
-500 psi compression on cyl 1
-very hard to start in moderate temps, starts much nicer with block heater
-brand new glowplugs looking nasty, 1 plug eroding (less than 1000mi on them)

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting set of conditions. The best part is they all may not be related.

Bad valve stem seals?? When you cranked is over doing compression tests, did you get a lot of oil out of #1? That's one possible reason I could see for getting higher compression there and consuming oil. Certainly oil running by the compressor wheel would cause oil consumption. Any correlation between GP condition and location? Were 1 and 2 better than 7 and 8? I could see the oil getting into 7 and 8 easier than 1 and 2 from the turbo. You don't have an intercooler correct?

:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online