big oil leak into compressor?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the injector to a local shop (they actually had so many DB2 pumps and IDI parts around, very cool!)
guy said it popped at 1650 but it was starting to get a little wet few hundred psi below the popping pressure. Said it wasnt dribbling, but was getting wet. which it shouldnt be...
ANyway, looks like i blew out 4 shims total from the injector body. I put one in before assembling it. So 3 more will go in tonight.
Does this mean there is still some gunk in there not allowing the pintle to seat all the way? Really should invest in my own pop tester...But then may go mad adjusting all of them to exact same specs...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe could just be from missing the other shims.
Can the Pintle be lapped into the nozzle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it still starts like ****:
Injectors are clean and still low mile, compression good glowplugs good. Was in the 70s today and thing still couch before starting. I tried advcanding and seriously retarding the timing, the retarded one seems to start a little faster but its still crap. I know when its cold the thing wont want to fire at all.. What rhe heck could it be???? Bad IP??
Cant be ai intrusion..have electric pump

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try replacing some fuel hose with clear hose, specifically on the pump inlet and return line, those two will show you if their is any air in your line, my next guess would be your ip, maybe try the atf trick?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill try the clear hose but..seriously doubt air, there is nothing showing in the facet lift pump fuel bowl. Tried all kinds of cleaners through the pump.
I have only ready 1 post where the guy said he has tried everything, evertthign was tip top, finally replaced the pump and all his cold starting issues went away...
Id like to know just how an IP fails when its cold though..

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't explain why but my truck definitely starts better than it did when cold now that I have the new IP installed.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took apart the turbony yesterday, nothing really in there that shows why it could be leaking oil... but took it apart, will clean it all tonight, put new oil control rings in hot and cold side (cold side was also soaked in oil so...definitely leaking...), put it back on tonight, refire and hope its not *******.

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks liek plunger seal will in tonight or tomorrow for the IP, swap pumps and that thing better run friggin perfect!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was tired and an idiot last nigth tho and forgot compressors are left hand thread, used my dewalt impact to take it off, well..i tightened it about 90 degrees over what it had...so..i stretched something probably...everythgin still spun fine...hopefully i will align everythign per my marks, and hopefully it will hit the 180 inch pounds of torque right at the mark where it should be..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fired it last night, runs smoother, no oil leaks so thats good. hot start was very crisp which is a great improvement. but...
this morning, 45F outside..same..friggin crap!!! terrible cold start. here is a video of it. glowed for 10 seconds, foot to floor, cold advance on...
what..the..heck!!! keep in mind, electric pump lift pump..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGDIhl3bPoM

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^so in the morning when i hit the shrader i hear a hiss and no fuel comes out. only once i turn the lift pump on do i get fuel out the filter head schrader valve. so am i draining back the IP??? i dont understand...
but the thing is...when i plug it in...it wills tart just fine!!!
all glow plugs are good, my volt meter and all lights get pulled down pretty hard when i hit the switch....i dont ge ***.

founs a guy on utube with also an electric pump..guy just added a check valve to his filter inlet, and then one on the IP outlet...im going to try that

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may be draining the fuel back by checking to see if you have fuel.

10 seconds may not be long enough for a smooth start. I remember at some point Bill posted the glow time with temperature the controller uses and I think it was 15-17 seconds when it was cold. Don't quote me on that though.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, but i checked the fuel after that start and i shut it down.

45f and 10s not long enough?? Dang...
I duno doesnt seem right imo..
I will try 15 after work and see how she go.
Still seems like air intrusion from the video though no?