Another oil brand thread?

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that many of the answers to the which brand of oil questions have made mention that when using Shell Rotella, oil usage was noticed. I myself have noticed this and wondered about it, although not for long. I just used something else like Delo or Delvac or whatever. I really don't think any one brand is really that much better than another. And, way too many people use Rotella without lubrication problems for it to be a "bad" oil.

I'm just wondering, has anyone ever figured out just why Rotella oil gets burned when other brands don't?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but I have noticed that my truck prefers Valvoline Premium Blue diesel oil. It doesn't drip as much when I use it.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have noticed my truck burns the shell oil fairly bad. it uses about 2 quarts every 4000 miles

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I think it has to do with the flash point more than anything. The lower the flash point the more likely the oil is to vaporized and carried out with the blow by. These thing make allot of oil vapor so I think that's where most the oil goes.

Ive tried several brands of conventional oils including rotella and never noticed much difference in oil usage. Ive come to accept the fact that these things just use some oil by nature.

jonathan id consider 2 quarts in 4000 miles pretty good!

Ive found with my truck it likes to be ran a quart low. It seems to eat that first quart pretty quick than settle back down.

Here is what I found that lead me to that discovery. It applies to the 7.3 as well

OIL DIPSTICK (6.9L) - ENGINE OIL LEVEL CHECKING PROCEDURE

LIGHT TRUCK 1983-86 E AND F SERIES
In order to measure engine oil levels consistently and accurately, it is useful to employ the following recommendations:
¨ Park vehicle on level surface. Low oil level readings will be obtained if the vehicle is sloped away from the dipstick.

¨ Have engine at normal operating temperature as oil expands at the rate of one percent per 25~F (14~C) change and the dipstick is calibrated to the engine at normal operating temperature. In addition, allow at least a fifteen (15) minute engine shutdown period to assure that oil contained in the upper parts of the engine has returned to the oil pan.

¨ Have dipstick loop directed inboard as this eases installation and minimizes wiping action on oil level gauge.

¨ Read oil level on both sides of gauge and use highest level (reading) for the actual engine oil level.

Correct oil dipstick calibration can be verified by draining the engine oil and filling the engine oil pan with nine (9) quarts (8.5 liters) of oil. When the oil dipstick is properly seated, correct dipstick calibration is indicated if the oil level is within 1/16 inch of the "Full" mark.

NOTE: The area between the "Add" and "Full" marks represents two (2) quarts. As long as the oil level is between the "Add" and "Full" marks, no oil should be added. When the oil level does reach the "Add" mark, only one quart of oil should be added. If the oil level exceeds the "Full" mark, oil consumption could result.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's not just peoples imaginations or personal preference, it has shown up in numerous tests that shell burns off faster. It is due to the fact that the rotella has a higher detergent content than Delo does,m while inversely Rotella does a better job of keeping rings clean if used from new, but on engines with some miles on them the rotella has a nasty habit of dissapearing faster.the delo holds up to high heat better and ,will not burn off as fast. It's just like racing oils with no detergents will hold up to insane heat without burning off since they havn't been diluted with detergent packages, but it would be insanity to run a racing oil in a diesel because your rings would pack up with soot and varnish in no time and you would have zero compression and wouldn't be able to start the thing

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it has to do with the flash point more than anything. The lower the flash point the more likely the oil is to vaporized and carried out with the blow by. These thing make allot of oil vapor so I think that's where most the oil goes.

Ive tried several brands of conventional oils including rotella and never noticed much difference in oil usage. Ive come to accept the fact that these things just use some oil by nature.

jonathan id consider 2 quarts in 4000 miles pretty good!

Ive found with my truck it likes to be ran a quart low. It seems to eat that first quart pretty quick than settle back down.

Here is what I found that lead me to that discovery. It applies to the 7.3 as well

OIL DIPSTICK (6.9L) - ENGINE OIL LEVEL CHECKING PROCEDURE

LIGHT TRUCK 1983-86 E AND F SERIES
In order to measure engine oil levels consistently and accurately, it is useful to employ the following recommendations:
¨ Park vehicle on level surface. Low oil level readings will be obtained if the vehicle is sloped away from the dipstick.

¨ Have engine at normal operating temperature as oil expands at the rate of one percent per 25~F (14~C) change and the dipstick is calibrated to the engine at normal operating temperature. In addition, allow at least a fifteen (15) minute engine shutdown period to assure that oil contained in the upper parts of the engine has returned to the oil pan.

¨ Have dipstick loop directed inboard as this eases installation and minimizes wiping action on oil level gauge.

¨ Read oil level on both sides of gauge and use highest level (reading) for the actual engine oil level.

Correct oil dipstick calibration can be verified by draining the engine oil and filling the engine oil pan with nine (9) quarts (8.5 liters) of oil. When the oil dipstick is properly seated, correct dipstick calibration is indicated if the oil level is within 1/16 inch of the "Full" mark.

NOTE: The area between the "Add" and "Full" marks represents two (2) quarts. As long as the oil level is between the "Add" and "Full" marks, no oil should be added. When the oil level does reach the "Add" mark, only one quart of oil should be added. If the oil level exceeds the "Full" mark, oil consumption could result.

thats awsome i thought it was just me thinking my truck liked 9 quarts lol. thats ive went though 2 quarts just because i have been keeping it full of oil