another "OD light blinking" thread

discbrks

Reaction score
Once again, the OD off light is flashing. I'm at a loss....
Driving to work today, rolled in the throttle as usual, and I noticed it seemed to shift funny after pulling off from a stop sign. Last time it did this, I pulled out of my driveway and the light started flashing. Unhook the batteries and it will stop, but who knows for how long. Sometimes a few days, other times a few weeks. I carry a wrench in the console just so I can pull over & disconnect the batteries - I'm becoming an old pro at this. I've had 3 fipl's on it in the last 6 months, all my connections are clean and tight, the trans. is a Ford reman... Any ideas?

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
when the lights blinking take it somewhere and get them to pull the codes that will give you something to start with.

sootman73

Reaction score
Autozone probably wont be able to get those codes. go to a transmission shop and they will be able to actually tell you what is going on. plus if you go to a decent one they will check em for little to nothing.

oh the port for checking those codes is by the drivers side hood hinge.

discbrks

Reaction score
Last time I had the codes pulled... I can't remember the code, but it pointed to the fipl... again. So I changed it, again... and now the light is blinking... again. I'm not a betting man, but I'd put a year's salary that the code shows fipl again.

If there was a wiring issue, wouldn't it show up immediately? Not come and go? I am more than frustrated with this....

sootman73

Reaction score
dont get to frustrated with it. i've been having electrical problems with mine for the last two months! replaced solenoid pack a few times, TPS sensors, switched computers. all kinds of things. i'm now waiting on a new computer to get here to see if that takes care of my problems. at least all yours is doing is flashing a code. mine will lockup at idle and all the time in reverse. and my computer isn't even controlling it because i have a lockup switch mod done. explain where the lockup signal is coming from!

just keep puling codes and maybe a transmission expert will enlighten you with a solution.

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be surprised what kind of grief just a flakey ground or power wire can give you. They are often very hard to find but cause about as much heartache as if an electrical component had just burst into flames and melted down the side of your transmission. Not saying its a power or ground these are usual suspects. If I were a betting man I would say there is a flakey connection of some kind somewhere in your system. Many fault codes are triggered by resistance being out of a set parameter and a flakey or corroded connection can cause excessive resistance therfore setting off a fault code. Thats where I would look.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Last time I had the codes pulled... I can't remember the code, but it pointed to the fipl... again. So I changed it, again... and now the light is blinking... again. I'm not a betting man, but I'd put a year's salary that the code shows fipl again.

If there was a wiring issue, wouldn't it show up immediately? Not come and go? I am more than frustrated with this....

Get the codes. If the filp code shows up try adjusting it. A little tweeking might be needed.:D

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Take out the Banks Transcommand(Don't use Bank's bypass plug) I have seen those cause the same problems.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
You would be surprised what kind of grief just a flakey ground or power wire can give you. They are often very hard to find but cause about as much heartache as if an electrical component had just burst into flames and melted down the side of your transmission. Not saying its a power or ground these are usual suspects. If I were a betting man I would say there is a flakey connection of some kind somewhere in your system. Many fault codes are triggered by resistance being out of a set parameter and a flakey or corroded connection can cause excessive resistance therfore setting off a fault code. Thats where I would look.
I agree here, clean everything and maybe add a ground too.
Get the codes. If the filp code shows up try adjusting it. A little tweeking might be needed.:D
I agree here also.

But I'm just a tweaker......

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yet another reason i hate autos....:puke: mines blinked since i got it, i turn the OD off everytime, sometimes it'll blink for a week and go out sometimes it won't blink at all! :dunno

-Jon cookoo

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
check the sensor on the rear diff, there is two wires on there, mine did the same thing and it was those wires, i reconnected them and it went away and it was fine

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didn't block the throttle to the wide open position when pulling the code, you will get a FIPL error code even if the sensor is good and everything works perfectly. All climate controls need to be off as well.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can go to autozone and they sell a digital code reader for $29.00. its made by actron and it will tell you what code pops up and you can erase them to. and remember what david85 said the trottle has to be at wide open and the ac has to be off or it will throw a fipl error code.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online