Alrighty boys - can't shift into gear

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think that's what it's called on these. I know on the Chevy's, that's what we call them.
It's the joint where the shaft goes into the box.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought so alao. But it was a cheap reman box.
I would do the rag joint.

What rag joint?

and yes it was a reman box that was what, maybe a day old and driven 5 miles on before i brought it in.

Rag joint on steering shaft which IIRC you stuck in a borgeson or flaming river or some other hi end shaft didn't you?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced the whole shaft with a borgeson....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm not sure of what those shafts consist of. I've never bought one or even looked them up.

But I would start simple by having someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at the components. Start high and work your way down to the tie rods and ball joints.
That's the only sure fire way.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did that, it's comin from the box. the borg shaft is all u joints. All suspension componets are new and tight as hell :-/ just got a bad box i guess.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I see. That helps a lot in my understanding of those units.

I would try to return that one for your money back. Or at least in store credit.

I would say you could try tightening that one up, but it'd be pointless if you're getting the flaming river one. (Or whatever the brand was)

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's going to run through everything one more time to be sure. I can't recall when I had the column out if anything in there could be worn. I'll get pics up of the shaft, since no one else ever has lol. It's a pretty solid unit. The gear box is under warranty, especially being a week or so old so no worries there. When I was there today he said everything else checked out fine and that is has to be something internal in the box. It was coughing up fluid, but there's no leaks so perhaps it just pooped itself and I gota lemon box. The pump doesn't squeal moan or groan either.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boredem ensues while i wait to get er back

You must be registered for see images attach

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that an asteroid I see about to hit that Marathon sign?

Kinda lost track - typical FLAPS reman steering box? No surprise. This is the great boondoggle of the "lifetime warranty" reman business. Parts going into used vehicles, getting re-sold or junked or whatever, of those parts that fail, there's a pretty low percentage that the owner actually tries to get replaced on warranty. And the core parts get sent across the border to Mexico (or even back to China on otherwise-empty cargo ships) to be rebuilt with parts of cheap materials, by extremely cheap labor. So it's actually cheaper to honor the occasional warranty and put the cr@p parts through the same cycle, than it is to build in the quality in the first place. The "elephant in the room" in the equation is the time DIY'ers like us have to sink into effing with stuff like this.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still, i've used many reman parts on vehicles and rarely had an issue. He adjusted the box and i test drove it, i'm still not happy with it but i'll tinker with it. It's almost sketchy driving it. I know i'm pampered driving a 2013 rental, but it doesn't feel right. When parked and running, the tires WILL move ever so slightly within that 4" of play. Maybe comparison to the new car...about an 1/2" to an 1" of what it would take that car to do it. I know i can't expect it to be like new stuff, but 1 - 2" should be attainable. What does everyone else have in theirs?

I want to also bring up return to center. Does everyone elses trucks my gen have it? By that i mean, you spin the wheel left or right as your driving and it slowly helps spin back the other direction. You can almost let the wheel slide in your hand to let it bring you out of the corner. The truck does not do this. You turn it left, it'll drive left until it feels like not anymore.

I feel like maybe the box blew with the worn kingpins, one was almost frozen in there. Maybe the few miles I drove it blew the box up? It's either that or SOMETHING is being overlooked. Dropped 1100 on a rental this month so upgrading to a redhead is probably not in my best option list.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there was no return to center before the adjusting either? tire pressure is fine wheel bearings are fine. Guy also said while driving it into the shop it was coughing up fluid. Box binding up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online