Alrighty boys - can't shift into gear

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've removed the old box already, i installed the new box and kinked the lonnnnng line trying to get it into place. Now here's my idea.

cut the tube so i can slide the threaded fitting off. get a new piece of tubing, even 1ft..bend it the way i want, put the threaded fitting on one end and flare it so it doesn't come off. then put rubber hose on the other end. Whatcha think? It just goes from the box to the pump.

edit: unless the threaded part is PART of the tubing. I can't remember now.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can flare some fresh tube great....and do that...it will work fine...you have nothing to loose doing so except some steering fluid.

Gary posted a link from ebay some time ago for that exact part btw...was quite a good price IMHO

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot, thanks! my neighbor "borrowed" both my tape measures. Any guesses on the size of tubing? I'll rig it up tomorrow, if i have any issues it will atleast get it driveable til the part comes in.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot, thanks! my neighbor "borrowed" both my tape measures. Any guesses on the size of tubing? I'll rig it up tomorrow, if i have any issues it will atleast get it driveable til the part comes in.

Don't hold me to this...

3/8 IIRC could be 5/16 though cannot recall for certain...

You have the old tubing and if your going to flare it ...stick it in flare block and see what size it is....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would do the aftermarket cooler idea like Al said. I just hate the look of that factory one.
IIRC, you can just use a tranny cooler. Also a good time to install a filter to protect that new box.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Box was about 100 bucks, not too worried about it lol. it wasn't the fancy pants redhead I had wanted but I had hopes of getting it together quick. I didn't think i had any type of cooler? The line literally just goes from the box to the pump. What are you referring to?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh maybe I didn't read correctly. The metal one that loops across the front of the cross member is a "cooler."

Maybe someone removed it, and that's why yours has a short line.

Some pics might help us.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take some in the morning. I do infact still have the long line. You're saying this was their idea of a cooler? Looks like a waste of tubing to me lol. I'm just going to attempt to make a short line tomorrow, i'll consider the cooler and filter down the road when I need to replace the cheapo box. I'm hoping this works!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Exactly. Damn ford engineers....
You sure can do without it.

Unless someone else post's a pic of one, I will tomorrow just to show you how bright that idea was.
The tubing will rub against the cross member. Good thing most are them are covered with a good thick layer of oily grime, otherwise it'd rub a hole.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found one. You can see how it loops around.

That really is stupid. A complete waste. I was able to finish up today (i'll get pictures up tonight). It's the same size as brake line (woo hoo), and the fitting was the same as well! I didn't need to flare anything. I was happy i found that. I just cut one flare off, and stuffed that end of the line into a rubber hose, clamped it and it was MUCH easier. Since it was mainly rubber now, I was able to connect it to the box first, than put the box up and move the line into place. The high pressure line same way, but had to be more careful so I didn't bend that one too.

All in all i'm not 100% satisfied, but i'm happy. The wheel doesn't turn for crap with the engine off, i'd probably break the steering wheel before it did anything. It moves around a lot easier now, and handles much better going down the road. I just toyed with it around the neighborhood for now. It still feels a little sticky, like there may be air still stuck in there. Hopefully it works it self out. It's also pretty stiff. Even using my suicide knob it's a little more effort to turn than I was expecting. is that normal? I wouldn't say it feels like anything is binding, just feels stiffer than I expected. Still HECK of a lot better than it was, two fold.

I also noticed while everything was apart, the tre on the pitman arm is no good. It doesn't have any hand movement, but the back of the boot is torn so i'll be getting a new one. Now...i'll be sending it in for an alignment and just have him put it on along with one other TRE. Anything else that he'd be touching for the alignment that I might as well replace?

I also still have that dual steering stabilizer that i never figured out how to install. I'm waiting til i get the alignment and tres installed than i'll decide if i'm going to keep it. If i don't end up needing it i'll just sell it, should have saved the receipt!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Repack your wheel bearings if you haven't. Most shops around here won't do an alignment if you don't

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even know how to go about that lol don't get me started on another wheel long project! haha. I was thinking more along the lines of ball joints or something he'll have to mess with anyways.

I also think i'm going to order a new front bumper from LMC this week. Mine is all tweaked and has been annoying me for a while now. I think I can handle installing it pretty quick lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even know how to go about that lol don't get me started on another wheel long project! haha. I was thinking more along the lines of ball joints or something he'll have to mess with anyways.

I also think i'm going to order a new front bumper from LMC this week. Mine is all tweaked and has been annoying me for a while now. I think I can handle installing it pretty quick lol

LMAO...with all you have accomplished ....repacking wheel bearings are like swapping underwear out for clean ones....it's that easy!

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhhh i've heard that before! lol. Last time I had it up on stands the wheels felt tight, that's usually a good indicator for bearings and ball joints no?

I been driving it around town, may drop it off for the alignment tomorrow night. It's stiff, but i'll get used to it. Better than loose as a goose! My internet it screwy so no pics yet. But i'm browsing on my phone for a bumper and a headache rack. Anyone got a rack they'd reccomend? I like the looks of the Go industries one..