Alrighty boys - can't shift into gear

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn well better be! :D I haven't brought my trash to the dump in two months. Good thing I have spare 55 gallon drums with lids.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well make sure you trash the old one. According to a recent thread, you'll get jumped for returning bad/wrong parts.

All kidding aside, you gonna do the installation again, or have your shop do it?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha, Doing the swap myself again. Can't wait! (rolls eyes). I got a chicky that works at another advance thatll hook me up with a refund if this one gives me any issues. It's driveable, i got it back today and took it up to highway speeds and it doesn't seem scary. It's just not right so i want to fix it. It's dark out, but I checked it out quick. Fluid is a little low, not sure where it was coughing fluid from. The PS pump cap is wet, what causes fluid to get forced out there? Big air bubble? I checked for play quickly, sure enough the steering shaft still twists freely back and forth so yall must be right, gotta be the box. i' m setting up an enterprise plus (frequent rental program) card and hopefully can grab a rental for a day or so to do it over next weekend. I have 90+ days in a rental JUST FROM THEM since I bought this truck. That doesn't include the days I had a shop covered rental. Crazy lol. I should earn me some free upgrades and free rentals :)

OH! Get this. You're gonna love this one. I've been shopping for a new shop to handle maintenence and repairs...I figured, why the hell not call the dealer...if it's warranty stuff, not like i'm paying for it...So I call, ask the service dept for a tech so i can make sure he knows what i want looked into. He cuts me off mid sentence and says,

Him "Wait. nine teen eighty six? Did I hear you right?"
Me: yes sir, keepin her alive.
Him: Thats nice, i haven't seen one of them since 1987, you can keep it, i decline servicing you.
And he hung up.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What a *****. LOL
Just do it all yourself. The money you'll save, you can put towards a moose pump or something.

I've never seen a dry power steering cap. That I can recall anyways.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i laughed about it, til i told the rollback driver the story and he said, "are you kidding? if you want to ruin his day call back and ask to speak with tommy...he'll be going home, for a long time." Guess the driver knows owner of the dealership and he wouldn't be happy. I haven't decided if I want to be a ***** back or not lol. I'll see how i feel in the morning.

I just want a backup shop for major stuff, i did find an old timer who runs a diesel repair shop, he knows about as much as you all about these ol trucks. He says he won't buy anything new anymore with all the electronic junk and he sees our trucks all time. Seems like a stand up guy, we talked for quite a bit, plus his shop is right in town tucked away from the hussle andbussle quick money stuff

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's good you found someone else.

I bet your steering is better than mine on my 94. It's got the floppy steering wheel syndrome. It'll track straight though. Lol
I'm just waiting to find a used column with tilt and cruise.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha that sucks. I track straight as hell too, though its tricky with the box so tight now. it's just a learning curve now to juuuuust turn it past the dead zone a teenie bit. I had a used column with tilt before i got the truck. Was in great shape and rebuilt (ford made a rebuild kit) but i tossed it since well, i didnt have an old truck lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep. I had thought about the rebuild kit, but since I want cruise and tilt, I might as well just wait. I can drive it just fine, it's just annoying when turning. Lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ya do tell more about tilt column rebuild kits.....for what years are they available????
I've only seen them for obs+ trucks.
I haven't seen a actual kit, you just get the individual bearings and stuff from the dealership.

On edit: I got lucky on the search I just did, and found actual kits. Even for older trucks.
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/steering-column-parts/ford.php

Last edited:

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford USED to have a full kit available, haven't heard of anyone else but myself that ever actually got one though. As far as updates with my rig, none. It binds up in the morning when i first start it up, doesn't want to turn the wheels at all. Not every morning, but once in a while. I wanted to bleed it for the hell of it, but my hi-lift jack can't fit under a good spot to jack the truck up without scaring me. So (i know i know) i bled it on the on the ground, and oddly enough, a LOT of air bubbled up nd it's actually quite a bit better. It still has more play than i'd like for almost everything being new, but it's getting there. I may try bleeding it the right way, especially since advance auto is giving me **** for not having a receipt (i ordered it online and only have a printed out receipt not a store reciept. they saidsomething about they don't record online transactions at the store.) I may buck up and buy a redhead and keep this as a spare, i've been driving to work everyday just fine, just want it to be 100%.

In april i'll be hauling all my stuff to the new house, about 4 hours away, and possibly towing a car, so i certainly want to get this 100% straightend out before then, not worth risking that.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my hi lift for everything else lol, just not sure of a good lift point on the truck to use it with. definetly not the front frame horn.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
And definitely not the bumper. I don't get why ford used such flimsy bumpers. I think I bent mine by staring at it wrong. LOL

A cheap 2 ton will lift the front though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7