New steering gear stiff?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a lower seal leaking so I bit the bullet and bought a Red Head box to replace the original. It's all good except it takes a bit more effort to steer. Not so much that it's annoying, but it's noticeable. Is there normally a break in period after which things will move easier or is my pump not up to the task of driving the new gear or maybe something else from the install?
It's totally fine. I'm just curious why it feels different.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought a Red Head
I have read numerous issues with the red head gears as of recent. I have heard that "Blue top" is the current go to. Supposedly there was a corporate disagreement and the partnership split up into "red head" and "blue top". From what I'm hearing "blue top" must have gotten all the talent.

James

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the red head gear box have the adjustment like the OEM ones did? Can you just loosen the screw a hair on top of the gearbox to loosen it up?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I never even took it out of the box.
By the weight of the box I decided that I wasn't man enough to install it so I had a local shop do it.
They did say that it had Ford markings on it so I assume it hasn't been changed. I'll take a look at it in the daylight tomorrow.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read numerous issues with the red head gears as of recent. I have heard that "Blue top" is the current go to. Supposedly there was a corporate disagreement and the partnership split up into "red head" and "blue top". From what I'm hearing "blue top" must have gotten all the talent.

James
I didn't get that memo. :-(

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I never even took it out of the box.
By the weight of the box I decided that I wasn't man enough to install it so I had a local shop do it.
They did say that it had Ford markings on it so I assume it hasn't been changed. I'll take a look at it in the daylight tomorrow.
You’re not missing out. Gear box install is a **** on this truck. Getting it mounted isn’t a problem, but getting the power steering lines on are a PITA

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a blue top /redhead is just a factory style gear box, rebuilt by these companies. different internals, and you can get them to port the box.

by far the hardest part on these are pulling the pitman arm.

i dont know why everyones so intimidated with em.

Attachments

• 326552062_3243437205987040_8505062400745963367_n.jpg
    326552062_3243437205987040_8505062400745963367_n.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 10

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a blue top /redhead is just a factory style gear box, rebuilt by these companies. different internals, and you can get them to port the box.

by far the hardest part on these are pulling the pitman arm.

i dont know why everyones so intimidated with em.

Pitman arm pulling isn’t so bad if you have a good one. I tried using a pitman arm puller I got from Hebrew Freight on it, and that was a no go. It just bent the heck out of it. You really need a decent hardened pitman arm puller for this.

Removing and installing the power steering lines is a pain in the ass from what I recall. It’s a tough spot to get to if you don’t have a crows foot wrench. Alternatively you could remove the wheel well liner to make it easier

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if we took our truck apart that far I'd imagine it'd be easy too ;Poke
well, this isnt exactly a factory truck.
but ive done it in factory style trucks, and it really aint that bad. IMO
i did my stock van steering box in 45 minutes

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 guys at the shop, working with my truck on a lift, said it wasn't fun. 5 hrs. labor listed on my bill + $6 for fluid.
Seems like my $350 was well spent vs trying to do it myself on my garage floor in 24 degree temps.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got a good one from AutoZone in 2021. No slop, no leaks, installed it right in the AutoZone parking lot, refilled the fluid, and drove away. But ... it's easier on Econolines.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I changed the one in my crew cab back when I originally built it. I can't remember how long it took to change, but I also don't remember it being hard to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online