my new steering gear box won't reach the rag joint coupling

Skoolie 89

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Ford E350 Skoolie ( Thomas School bus its the shorty ) The gear box is a D9AC-AA very common gear box. It mounts to the frame with 3 bolts that slide through the frame. There is no adjustment at this point to raise the gear box closer ( the spline ) and yes I know there is a flat spot on the spline with only enters the rag joint one way.

That is not my problem. I was not paying attention when I disconnected the gear box from the truck and once I removed that 12 point bolt from the rag joint the gear box just fell out ( because I had already removed the pitman arm from the center link, the 3 bolts and the power steering hoses ) I am changing out the entire tie rods too.

When I went to reinstall the new gear box there is now a gap yup...1 1/2 inch difference between where the spline on the end of the gear box meets up to the rag joint coupling. I have tried pulling and pushing and even removed the steering wheel. The steering coupling is not a U JOINT type but it seems like something in the steering coupling or shaft has moved? I even tried connecting the steering gear box to the rag joint first and seeing if I could pull down on the entire assembly in order to line up to the frame bolts....no luck....it's still about 1 1/2 inch too short.

Has something moved? Is there a way to lower my steering wheel and disconnecting the shift linkage to regain this 1 1/2 inch difference back? I can attach photos later. I have searched everywhere and I can't seem to find any support for this problem. I know it's the right gear box part. I have even tried putting the old one back in and it still has the same problem.

Thanks guys for your support.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have this diagram? There are a couple of joints that slip together, one of them must have slipped in when you removed steering box.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.png
    IMG_1203.png
    532.8 KB · Views: 9

Skoolie 89

Reaction score
No I have been searching for a breakdown on the steering column but everything I find is a U JOINT type. Thanks for the diagram. I even ordered a Haynes manual but it doesn't even show the breakdown, it just gives a description.

Thanks

Skoolie 89

Reaction score
Okay I have resolved the issue in case anyone wants to understand. It was indeed the steering shaft that slide up inside about 1 1/2 inches....I pulled the steering column and right where the rag joint connects to the steering coupling I tapped it with a hammer. There is a keyway that is on the shaft that appears to have a set screw that holds that shaft in place. Apparently my set screw is not holding. So I tapped the shaft and it slide out exactly what I needed it to. I don't think you need to pull the steering column if this happens to you. You can probably tap it from inside the fire wall with a wedge or a block of wood in order to get the shaft to slide back in place. I did loosen the 3 bolts on the inside of the cab at the fire wall so I could line up the shaft with the rag joint....tightened everything up and she is back on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online