Alrighty boys - can't shift into gear

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When trying to wiggle the tire were you using the hand method or pry bar method?

I like me some tight steering and big shiny racks......

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hand method. I had it flatbeded to an alignment shop. The nearest one that would touch it was an hour away so that was much easier. BUT. when we got there i looked at the flatbed and there was a good size puddle under the truck...Looks like coolant coming down between the engine and the bellhousing. What the heck could that be? I'm calling the shop that installed the engine tomorrow and seeing if they'll tow it back and fix it when the alignments finished.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Damn. Off hand I can't think of what would make it leak there.
Only thing I can think of is if it's filling the crankcase, then leaking out the rear main.
Oh also the freeze plugs behind the flywheel.

The hand method isn't all that accurate. Sometimes you really need some force to get something to move.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I couldn't think of anything either. Strange spot to leak. The truck was running for MAYBE 3 - 5 minutes, so it's crazy. There is a puddle in the garage, but more towards the front, and it's clear. Heaven knows. I'm just glad i'm done with my end of it. My hand is acting up again so I won't be able to wrench for a few weeks. Hopefully they'll get er straightened out by the weekend.

Oh. I told the alignment guy if he spots anything that needs attention just give me a hollar. And he's gonna make sure the pitman art is torqued down right. That thing was a bear, and I don't have a torque wrench so it's best he finishes it off.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Clear?
It's not fuel?

Yeah my buddy cross threaded one of those and called me for help. Him and his cousin were the go to the gym take all these supplement types. I'm just a little feller and got that thing screwed on all the way. It's all about common sense and leverage.
Funny thing is, the socket got stuck on it and a sledge wouldn't even knock it loose. Needless to say, the new owner of the truck got a "free" socket. Lol

For future uses, get a ¾ inch drive breaker bar with a ½ inch adapter.
I just use a ½inch breaker and a fiberglass cheater pipe. If I can't get it with that, it ain't coming off.

Personally, if nothing major like headgaskets, I never use a torque wrench. You get a good feel for how tight you can go after awhile.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha nice. I threaded it by hand but once it got to the pitman arm it was a beast trying to get it to push the arm up. I had an 18" breaker bar and damn near had an anuerism trying to tighten er down. I've always meant to save an old tie rid adjusting sleeve, unscrew the TRE on my old jeeps and the sleeve was a perfect breaker bar.

Idk if it's fuel, my sense of smell is very weak and inaccurate. I don't associate smells with things that make sense...it's weird, i don't know i had a rough rugby career and a few major car accidents haha. For instance, I bought chocolate covered cherry air freshner and it just smelled "brown" to me. I felt it, but it's the sandy dusty dirty garage floor, so i couldn't tell the consistency. THAT puddle could be fuel, but tonight on the rollback, it was visably green on the bell housing/engine.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear that's a whole phenomenon in psychology, some people smell colors, and feel tastes, and the like. Well, you could still use the compare-and-contrast method. Smell some anti-freeze, then smell some diesel fuel. Once you get a sense of the difference, then smell whatever's leaking.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/music womp womp wommmmmp /end music

Alignment shop called today.

him: "buddy your king pin on the passenger side...it's completely gone. There's a good 2 inches of play how was this thing not all over the road?"
me: well, it hasn't exactly been ON a road in months. been at a shop for an engine swap
him: and they didn't tell you you need to fix this?
me: no.
him: this is incredible. honest to god, there's no way they didn't notice. i don't see how unless they had their eyes closed.

End result? Only one sides bad, but might as well do both...$624 for both sides, some misc things i wanted done, and my alignment. Anything he'll have apart that would make sense to do now? Any bushings or anything?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the diff between them, but I thought I just had all king pins? no?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
King pins done.Oil change done. TREs done. Now there's still 4" of play in the wheel going down the road. I drove it, it's a crap load better but i'm still not satisfied. He's going to swap boxes, he's sure that's the only thing it could be. He had two more IDIs there today!A reg cab SRW and a CC DRW like mine. I was so excited lol. I wish he parked us next to eachother, i'd have gotten a picture.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
King pins done.Oil change done. TREs done. Now there's still 4" of play in the wheel going down the road. I drove it, it's a crap load better but i'm still not satisfied. He's going to swap boxes, he's sure that's the only thing it could be. He had two more IDIs there today!A reg cab SRW and a CC DRW like mine. I was so excited lol. I wish he parked us next to eachother, i'd have gotten a picture.

Didn't you already swap boxes? Like *** already...

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What rag joint?

and yes it was a reman box that was what, maybe a day old and driven 5 miles on before i brought it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online