94 F250 7.3 Sitting for 15 years

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We tried starting fluid.. didnt even try and fire really just lots of clatter no vroom!! very little smoke out the exhaust! I know my new fuel is going into the return and into the tank etc... im not getting any fuel to the injectors at all.. I only see a very little at maybe one, as i did the ATF trick and the red is very easy to see( looks to be at the return though), still nothing, figured i work next 6 days, ordered new glow plugs and return line kit.. so maybe tackle more next tuesday.. Im honestly lost on this unless my IP is toast! I figured starting fluid would do something, its just clattered not really any sign of life... I have the glow plugs out now and it seems to have plenty of compression blowing out the holes ( that one under the turbo pissed me off) Number 1 seems to spit some fuel out the cylinder.. none on any others.. Im so fed up im about to go finance a new rig to pull the trailer, as my Titan is a GAS HOG like no other! 5.3 mpg at 70mph pulling my 28 ft 7000lb toy hauler... If i cruise at 55-60 i can get 10mpg but who can drive 60..

Last edited:

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We tried starting fluid.. didnt even try and fire really just lots of clatter no vroom!! very little smoke out the exhaust! I know my new fuel is going into the return and into the tank etc... im not getting any fuel to the injectors at all.. I only see a very little at maybe one, as i did the ATF trick and the red is very easy to see( looks to be at the return though), still nothing, figured i work next 6 days, ordered new glow plugs and return line kit.. so maybe tackle more next tuesday.. Im honestly lost on this unless my IP is toast! I figured starting fluid would do something, its just clattered not really any sign of life... I have the glow plugs out now and it seems to have plenty of compression blowing out the holes ( that one under the turbo pissed me off) Number 1 seems to spit some fuel out the cylinder.. none on any others.. Im so fed up im about to go finance a new rig to pull the trailer, as my Titan is a GAS HOG like no other! 5.3 mpg at 70mph pulling my 28 ft 7000lb toy hauler... If i cruise at 55-60 i can get 10mpg but who can drive 60..

You need a pump replaced, cleaned, or rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its full of ATF as we speak and im on the couch!! i might have tomorrow off, otherwise its not till tuesday that ill touch it again!

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score

5.3!! I thought my buddies super duty 5.4 was bad at 9-10. And thats a real truck that you don't need tinted windows on.

Use a test light on glow plugs. Connect test light to battery positive and put glow plug threads on ground side if they are not in engine and touch test light to glow plug end were wire connects. If test light glows its good if it don't glow it's a dead glow plug. I do this ever 6 or so months, just pull glow plug wires and touch them with test light.
If you are connected to the filter inlet as you say, filter should be full and no air after first time you bleed it. If it is getting air again I suspect fuel is draining back into your can. Is the can on the ground? If so put the can up higher that the filter. Bleed air out of shader. Glow plugs are out so tighten all injector lines and crack one at a time while cranking. You can crank longer because the starter is barley working with no compresion. If ip is working you will see fuel spaying out of glow plug holes after you bleed the injectors

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you decide to sell it, let me know. I can probably get it running in a 1/2 hour or less.

Winnemucca NV Sure sounded familiar, been there about 5 yrs ago and picked up an 1913 Antique tractor there and delivered it to Minneapolis.

Since your going to take a rest for a week, when you start on it again, do this as below. You have an information overload.

Make sure your batteries are fully charged. It takes at least 24 hrs to charge both batteries at 10 amps charging if there below 11 volts.

Install your new Motorcraft/Beru glow plugs if you haven't done so already. Turn the key On, @ 40 degrees the wait to start lite should come on for around ten (10) seconds, then start clicking. this proves your GP system is working OK. If Not, then the GP controller is defective.

If the GP system is not working as above. Plug the block heater in for three (3) hours prior to trying to start. the engine should feel warm to the touch if the heater is working.

Since you have an electric fuel pump with the suction in a container of fresh fuel, place it above or level with the fuel filter. Run a hose from the tank return line back into your fuel container. Start the pump, bleed any air out the Schrader valve. Let it run WITHOUT trying to start for 3-4 minutes. Check for fuel leaks on the return lines and the top of the fuel filter. the fuel heater connection on top is prone to leaking.

Fix any fuel leaks if you have any.

Crack the injector line nuts at the injectors on 1 - 3 - 2 - 4 .

After all of the above is OK. Then turn key ON to cycle the GP's, then try to start, any fuel coming out of any injector line, Stop cranking, then tighten the nut. Start cranking again, the engine should start or try to start, it has to turn over at least 100 to 150 RPM, sounds fast. It may take several tries like that to start. Keep a battery charger on the batteries while doing this.

If it don't start at all, then your IP is probable no good.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
elect fuel pump installed
Fuel getting to the IP
nothing at all to the injectors
I filled IP with ATF and i do see some coming out return lines but only in one spot. (return kit on way)
new MOTORCRAFT GP's installed and tested ok
Batts charged very well spins great
plenty of compression
Ip never been out, I finally got more of the story yest.. Its been 18 years parked!!! He said it was shaking pretty bad when he parked it, so he thought motor mount was broke..

I did replace the #1 fuel line as it was cracked in half! This im sure was part of the shaking, if not what happened from the shaking.

My thoughts IP was taking a **** running like crap and cracked line.. I sure wish i had a way to check the IP..Back to work tomorrow for 5 days then 4 off.. so i guess im done till then!!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The line clamps missing is what cracked the line. I doubt a bad IP would have done it.

Definitely watching this one. Interested to see what the outcome is.

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how bad will it shake with the broke line.. and yes that side had no line clamps!! im just wondering if the IP took a **** bout the same time!

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i threw in the towel till i can find someone to come look at it... im not spending another penny on it... diesels are stupid!!!!