94 F250 7.3 Sitting for 15 years

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
If you have an electric pump and can of fuel hooked up then shrader valve at the filter should show fuel no air. How do you have this hooked to truck? You are not trying to push fuel through mechanical pump are you? You said can is sucking in. Were is the fuel going? If you are trying to push through mechanical pump check your oil level you may be filling the cranckcase with fuel. Get filter full and tighten injector lines. Crank with full batteries and charger hooked up so it spins fast. Crack one line at a time. Plug in block heater if you have coolant in it for a few hours before you try it this will help light it off.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the pump is gummed/rusted up. He said it has sat for 15 years. He might get away with pulling the top, filling it and the inlet line with ATF and leaving it sit like that a week. I'd recommend trying a different injection pump OR removing and having a shop clean it. I had one truck that we pulled down the road until the manifolds got warm to the touch and it still wouldn't barely try to fire. I had the pump cleaned and it ran within 2 revolutions of the crank.

Just had my new truck do this to me also. It sat a while and i could only get a small drop at the injectors. I tossed another known running pump on and it fired right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just a mental review here...you said that fuel was squirting out of the schrader with key on-good, and that it was wet around the injectors at the bottoms-good, then I would second the advice that the injector lines are probably needing to be tightened back down so it will fire. I usually only loosened two or three lines..(first two on left and first one on right) when I have to bleed and as soon as I see just a few bubbles I start tightening and it will start while someone is cranking. Try it, what can it hurt? Tighten all lines and thn just crack open those three, look for any evidence of flow, wet or bubbles and then close off one at a time while someone cranks, and I hold the throttle wide open while doing it. Hope this helps. Hang in there you are almost there!

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here is whats going on so far!

Electric pump hooked up as found on this site.. Plumbed into fuel inlet on front of filter!
I feed a new line to a fresh 5 gallons of fuel.
i turn on power to pump and bleed air at schrader.
i crack 1 line or 4 lines i barely get anything if anything under the return line and it looks like the old fuel not the new, so im not sure if IP is clogged or what..
When i stop and start over i have more air in the filter!
The return lines seem loose and floppy, No1 in my little town has a rebuild kit or can find one.. so ill have to order..
how can i make sure my block heater and GP's are actually working?

I may walk away for this week as by bipolar brain is on overload and i crashed my dirt bike last sunday at a race and IM SORE.. crashing at 43 hurts for a bit!

someone wanna come work on it for me? ha

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i haven't read all this yet just this and last page but;if the truck's been sitting then the ip is dry.you can stop frigging with injector lines.i'll read back,but i haven't read about insuring power is to the FSS yet.if not,make sure.
crank for 20 full seconds and then stop and walk away.after 2 minutes or when the batteries are fully charged,crank for another 20 seconds.this time,at around 10 seconds have someone spray a little starting fluid down it,while your cranking.don't crank for more than 20 seconds and make sure to allow 2 mins for the starter to cool.
there's no reason to crack injector lines.i never do.she'll bleed on her own.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
just read pages 1 and 2.im backwards today.:D nothings changed.there is other good advice of course but i saw no mention of power being verified to the FSS.im not sure why? do you hear the FSS "click"? when cranking do you see any white smoke out the tailpipe?
the FSS is the top,center most solenoid on the injection pump.with the key on,remove the wire and hook it back up.you should hear a "click". if not,she'll never start.

as for fresh coolant and new GP's.i wouldn't sink $ in it until i knew it was worth sinking $ into first.of course some fresh oil is needed.you don't want it to start on 15 yr old oil and seize her up.other than that,id feed her FSS 12v and prime and start it on starting fluid.

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the top off and the FSS is clicking back and forth. Grounded the top and cycled the key. Also verified power at both terminals.

Is it possible the IP just isn't pumping fuel? And why am I getting so much air back into the filter.

I'm a motorcycle mechanic. This diesel **** confuses me haha

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe the reason she was parked was because the ip crapped the bed and it was mistakenly diagnosed as a bad fuel line? your probably getting air in the filter because you keep unscrewing it to look? with an electric fuel pump always pumping straight from a jug,she's gotta be full.

i gotta get back to the phone.im not even supposed to be on here lol.good luck!

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the broken fuel line. It was fully cracked in half.

I didn't pull filter. I'll turn on key press schrader and get air out. Tried cranking a few times and hit schrader and more air. This can't be normal right? So I feel somehow I'm sucking and pushing air.

Can I test the IP somehow?

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had block plugged in. Nothing. I'm getting air , gunna order the return line kit and go from there

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
give me fuel give me fire give me that which i desire

your worrying too much about air.
right now all you wanna do is get it fired up to see how it runs.fuel isn't going to drain back in your diesel jug with an electric fuel pump running.just crank while spraying a little starting fluid.it's not going to start without it unless you have glow plugs or a functioning block heater.your overthinking it.these are very simple engines.
no glow plugs means you need to give it some starting fluid................vroom,clatter,clatter,clatter would be the noise she'd be making if you force me to drive out to Nevada.:D

looks like i drove through your town after checking out the car museum in Reno a couple years ago.....not that this useless bit of info helps you at all.:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle