7.3 idi trouble... thinking h/g's or cavitation

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
SIGNS OF A BAD HEAD GASKET

Since fixing a head gasket failure at a repair shop can cost between $3,000 and $8,000, it’s important to have the right diagnosis before performing the operation. A pressurized coolant hose is a sign the head gasket possibly quit sealing. An overflowing coolant reservoir is also a bad omen. Sometimes these problems are caused by leaking injector cups (if equipped), EGR-cooler failures, or a bad radiator cap, and are not a head gasket problem. Still, it’s important to address the problem, because the longer you drive you vehicle with a bad head gasket, the more severe the engine damage become.

In the article it showed a picture of them testing the coolant for exhaust gasses. They also had a picture of our injectors with the caption, “a bad injector can cause a cylinder to overheat, which in turn take out the head gasket. Other things than can cause damage to a head gasket include: and engine with improper timing that causes pressure spikes in the combustion chamber, oil cooler failure, or plugged coolant passages”.

The above was taken from the article, “Why Head Gaskets Fail” in the June 2012 issue of Diesel Power Magazine. Article was written be Jason Thompson.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i been looking at doing the gaskets or at least grabbing them and pulling the motor apart...

were can we get the bolts i cant seem to find them at a local store... or maybe even head studs.. thats the way i went on my tbird sc that runs low 12sec

i also assume felpro gaskets are safe to use?

Last edited:

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do the tests that agnem mentioned at the bottem of page 4 before you even look at buying head gasket parts. Seems to be it would be a total waste to do the head gaskets to find out its cavitation and you wasted 300 or so dollars on a head gasket job (+ machining that was mentioned)

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i plan on it but wanted to start getting an idea of how much and were and how long it will take to get the parts..

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk if the Tstat is right I havent changed it.. That don't answer why I have steam and pressure at startup

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your answer is in this thread a few times...you have combustion gasses entering your cooling system thru either cavitation or a headgasket all there is to do from here is to get a pressure tester and do the tests as agnem has explained

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that my self I was just telling the guy that said something about the Tstat

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well today I decided to tear it down instead of trying to hunt for fittings to use compressed air... I've been Driving it here and there and decided to drive it to work today got to work and it started to smoke pretty good so I shut it off worked 4 hour came out and it was hydro locked...... So I pulled the glow plugs and got the water out of 2 cylinder (pass side rear and drivers side front) is it odd those 2 had filled up? Did so and go it fired up.

I assume I could see cavitation if that's what's going on? Even tho the head gaskets could be bad still.

Any tips for getting the turbo off I ain't got that far yet but it looks like a pita. Any other times like working around the ip would be nice also.

Thanks

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that all depends on the turbo ... some are a real pain and others are quite simple ... the stroker turbos come off with two bolts and a couple clamps ... but aftermarket turbos can be quite a bit more complicated ... one type bolts on a bracket on the passenger side head at the rear and you can pull bracket and all out once you get the tubing all undone....

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the banks side winder

looks pretty simple 4 flange nuts 2 look like a pain.. and the band clamp and the oil lines..

now for removing the ip lines how do you guys do that remove the whole ip and lines?

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
think i found my issue...

pulled the heads yesterday and today.. if it didnt have the banks turbo it would have been done in one day but man that thing is a pita to remove...

the gaskets are toast... so ive looked at the cylinder walls and i dont see anything that looks out of the norm... would i see the cavitation if i also had that on top of h/g failure

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Forum statistics