7.3 idi trouble... thinking h/g's or cavitation

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you really need to check every cylinder with the piston at bdc and you are looking for tiny tiny pinholes

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you really need to check every cylinder with the piston at bdc and you are looking for tiny tiny pinholes

i already did that to the drivers side and with my eye i cant see anything out of the norm.. am i gonna need some like a magnifying glass to look?

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no just rub them down with your eyes closed and feel for anything...there should be some signs visible

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got my head gaskets in the mail today..

what i took off was a mls gasket

what i got today is a composite gasket

should i have a mls gasket??? the composite gasket looks like the right gasket.

also do you guys put any kind of rtv silicone around the water ports on the head gasket??? i always do so on a gas motors intake coolant ports..

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got this thing back together what a pita with the banks turbo...

anyways the head gaskets where my prob... no more bubbles!

but now that i got it back together i have black smoke at idle and heavy throttle it smokes the road out, a light miss, and seems a little sluggish.. any suggestions?

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the timing marks on the cam gear and IP gear lined up the correct way.

well when i did it i pulled the whole housing like shown in the video i posted earlier in a post.. and marked the gear that the ip gear rides on and also marked the ip housing and gear before removing the whole thing. which i found out mistakes are easy to do, doing it this way...

so i am assuming i off a tooth maybe? looks like im in trouble:(

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your running your not too far off...move around your ip either way as far as it will go and report back wit which side made it run better...i.e. driver side or passenger side

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
That video is total garbage, should be taken down. Thats a sure fire way to screw things up. U need to slow down and read what others say before going in and doing anything. Curt posted a good page to read right after u posted that crappy video.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That video is total garbage, should be taken down. Thats a sure fire way to screw things up. U need to slow down and read what others say before going in and doing anything. Curt posted a good page to read right after u posted that crappy video.

I would have but I had already tore it apart and relized it was dumb
But it does run and fire right up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online