7.3 idi trouble... thinking h/g's or cavitation

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my buddy's also has a truck with an idi he changed his rad with one off eBay I think he paid like 150 and it was a nice aluminum rad... I may just do that.. Yes the coolant was nasty

The over flow hose is to the bottom of the jug and it's tight around the neck of the rad, It had a clamp on it but I took it off it just got in the way and it don't seem to need the clamp

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone said it on the first page of here, but it sounds like air in your system... i had similar issues with my wifes explorer after a blue jay killed her radiator, had to take it to a shop to get the coolant properly bled out, and get the air pockets out.

Think it cost me about 15 bucks, its been awhile since that happened... think that was including more antifreeze as they re-flushed it and did w/e you do to get the air out lol

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air in the coolant system is what I'm hoping for... There has to be a good way to bleed he air with out a shop

I would assume if the h/g's leaked I wouldn't have pressure 2 days later in the rad

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok just so you know pressure in the cooling system only comes from heat made and expansion from heat...if you have pressure after 2 days thats an issue cause its so much pressure its taking that extent of time for it to lose its pressure...it should have all pressure gone as soon as it cools down..a water pump doesnt build pressure just gets the water started in the right direction

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the thermostat neck there is a check ball for bleeding out the air, if that is stuck the air cannot bleed until the t'stat opens. You have to remove the neck and shake it to hear it rattle, also if the original t'stat was replaced it could be the wrong one, only a Motorcraft or IH t'stat is the correct one. If replaced with the wrong t'stat it will not block off the bypass and the coolant system will not work correctly.
thermostat (with gasket) - E5TZ 8575 C

You must be registered for see images

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just So You know if the head gaskets are bad you can push combustion gas's into the coolant system

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just So You know if the head gaskets are bad you can push combustion gas's into the coolant system

yes it can...my headgaskets were done, copper coated the whole nine yards. I never have to add any water no funny smells or smokes runs like a champion!!! but I still have the pressure in the system?!?

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ment that for the guy that said coolant heats up and cools down is why it's under pressure

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also put the old cap back on this morning for the heck of it.. On my way to work it heated up to 260 on my real gauge and nothin on the stock one which only means the coolant was low.. Then the tstat opened and it cooled down to norm and was fine it even ran cooler with the old cap that dont let the system build pressure.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the thermostat neck there is a check ball for bleeding out the air, if that is stuck the air cannot bleed until the t'stat opens. You have to remove the neck and shake it to hear it rattle, also if the original t'stat was replaced it could be the wrong one, only a Motorcraft or IH t'stat is the correct one. If replaced with the wrong t'stat it will not block off the bypass and the coolant system will not work correctly.
thermostat (with gasket) - E5TZ 8575 C

I did pick up a tstat from autozone which I havent replaced yet

Is the check ball in that little hex?

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ment that for the guy that said coolant heats up and cools down is why it's under pressure

I was the guy that said that. and that is what makes pressure in the system is the heat! you will get excess pressure if combustion is introduced

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to tear it down and check your cylinders for cavitation...if everything looks good go ahead and get your head and block decked and try her out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger