Just bought, psycho billy turbo kit. WHAT IS IT!!!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this today and just jumped on it, i figure the time to buy something you never seen before is when you see it so i bought and asked Q's later. Know what did i friggin buy, it is so odd and i could'nt find any real info thru searches.. It apears the turbo sits rite above the valve cover on the drivers side, but all i can realy tell it it's bad *** and i now have a turbo..So what do you guys think, and does anyone know what i have..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290690599661

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What you have there is a great setup for easy upgrades. Personally if it were mine I'd have a shop port that manifold out, get a more modern turbo maybe a garrett GT3076R Dual Ball bearing unit and use a T3 flanged exhaust housing. That is if it is in fact a T3 flange on the top of that manifold but I believe it is. Lots of potential there, the turbo mounted on the manifold like that makes it super efficient. The only thing that you could do to make it better would be to get a manifold for the opposite side that routed the crossover pipe over the engine block instead of behind it. The shorter that piping is the more efficient it will be.
I've talked about an old timer that lives close to my parents that has a ball bearing garrett turbo on his truck, I believe by the looks of your kit, he used the same exhaust components to mount that ball bearing turbo on his truck. Super awesome find there bud.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
not ray jay the manifold is different on the ray jay in that the cross over pipe doesnt come in right there but rather from the back of the manifold where the stock outlet is. btw the ray jay kit is actually a turbo engineering kit, only reason its called ray jay is because the turbo is a ray jay. gw what you have there is a turbo kit, dont know how they perform as they seem to be pretty rare. if they are similar to the turbo engineering/rayjay kit then the good thing about them is that you can adapt almost any turbo on them with a little ingenuity. bad thing is that they sit on the drivers side so the down pipe will have to run over the engine to the passenger side and exit, unless you somehow have an insane amount of room between the manifold and steering column that I dont. and even if you do get the pipe under the drivers side you still have a lot of stuff in your way to route it out the rear end

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not ray jay the manifold is different on the ray jay in that the cross over pipe doesnt come in right there but rather from the back of the manifold where the stock outlet is. btw the ray jay kit is actually a turbo engineering kit, only reason its called ray jay is because the turbo is a ray jay. gw what you have there is a turbo kit, dont know how they perform as they seem to be pretty rare. if they are similar to the turbo engineering/rayjay kit then the good thing about them is that you can adapt almost any turbo on them with a little ingenuity. bad thing is that they sit on the drivers side so the down pipe will have to run over the engine to the passenger side and exit, unless you somehow have an insane amount of room between the manifold and steering column that I dont. and even if you do get the pipe under the drivers side you still have a lot of stuff in your way to route it out the rear end

I don't know how it fits, the dp is included so i geuss i'll find out.. Im thinking drivers side hood stack:slycookoo;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an old kit but still works great, if you want to do any mods on that turbo let me know, it may be a rotomaster with a carbon seal, not good. But easily upgradeable.I like it, wrap the crossover and really spools quick.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an old kit but still works great, if you want to do any mods on that turbo let me know, it may be a rotomaster with a carbon seal, not good. But easily upgradeable.I like it, wrap the crossover and really spools quick.

Already figured i'd contct you about building a better turbo, I'm sure we can find something that will fit rite in place or maybe upgrade the unit thats there..

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow.how nostalgically cool.we don't see many of the pre- big 3 turbo kits for the idi.it's always neat to see one.
does anyone know what BAE stood for?
well forget that question.google yeilds instant results.seems it's still an alive co.
check it out:

About Us
It all started in a little city called Torrance California some 30 years ago as "Bob's Automotive Engineering". BAE grew up with other legends in the area like Garrett Airesearch, Donavan Engineering, Bill Miller Engineering, Iskendarian Racing Cams and our next door neighbor Lamborghini of North America. We all had one thing in common, we were all innovators at what we did and we all strived for producing one thing - "QUALITY". BAE recieved i'ts reccognition for producing their "Street Legal" Turbo Kits. Life was good in the early 80's at BAE since we were flexing our efforts towards "Turbocharging anything on the Planet" Especially the Greymarket Conversion End of it. We had our hands on every exotic sportscar you could think of Ferrarii's (BB512), BMW's (M1) , Renault's ( R5), Porsche (935) - 935's? yes 935's we were involved in converting these twin turbo monsters to a more street legal 930 versions. Today BAE is still heavily involved with Twin Turbo research and development for Porsche 996 and 997.

http://baeturbosystems.com/about-us.aspx

if that is the same BAE co. anyway.:dunno

Last edited:

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i'll have to shoot them an email with pics and see if they remember these things.. I'd love to find as much info as i can on it, almost as much as i want to get it, clean it up and install it:peelout..

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I do like those kits for the ease of upgrades. You are less limited space wise for you turbo vs. the other kits that put them up above the bellhousing. Good buy for the price!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks a million for that, i'm glad to see pics as they will help with my install.. That exhaust running over the engine definatly sucks but o well i geuss it will be fine.. I also see that i'm missing the feed pipe so i'll hve to make that, but i thought that was missing before as i did'nt see anything.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a chra from him a while back and it had chinese parts in it, I was not pleased.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i've been reading into it as much as i can, seems like a pretty cool old peice. Can't wait to get it and realy start playing with it. Only problem i'm seeing is i lifted the body 1.5" used 3" blocks cut in half. So i'll probly need to run a 1" spacer inbetween the turbo and the manifold.. Geuss i'll find out next week when it arives.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Nice grab! That kit will be leagues easier to install over the standard kits offered from the big 3. Pop off the old manifold, install that bad boy and route the exhaust. EASY!

Only thing I noticed right off the bat... If you decide to work with the turbo that goes with it, one of the ears that bolts the turbo to the manifold looks like it is broken off. Look closely at pictures 2 and 5 on the ebay ad. My eyes could be deceiving me though... :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online