Just bought, psycho billy turbo kit. WHAT IS IT!!!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice grab! That kit will be leagues easier to install over the standard kits offered from the big 3. Pop off the old manifold, install that bad boy and route the exhaust. EASY!

Only thing I noticed right off the bat... If you decide to work with the turbo that goes with it, one of the ears that bolts the turbo to the manifold looks like it is broken off. Look closely at pictures 2 and 5 on the ebay ad. My eyes could be deceiving me though... :dunno

I think the ear is an optical illision, i asked and he said the turbo is good to go....

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any other info, i'm just wondering what i'll do with the cdr valve and how i'll route the oil lines.. Geuss i'll just have to figure that all out the hard way.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think these BAE turbo kits are the ones that used to advertise kits in the back of the old vintage car and driver magazine, along with a few other old auto magazines. I have a couple of these magazines sitting around, I'll have to see if I can find one and check it out.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an old kit but still works great, if you want to do any mods on that turbo let me know, it may be a rotomaster with a carbon seal, not good. But easily upgradeable.I like it, wrap the crossover and really spools quick.

Typ4: What's wrong in particular with the Rotomasters with a carbon seal? Other than the obscene price of the carbon seal and how fragile it is. My 1st Gen Banks has that turbo... still does. It lasted 140K and was still in fine shape when torn down to freshen up. No sure I would have rebuilt it if it had major issues but...???

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typ4: What's wrong in particular with the Rotomasters with a carbon seal? Other than the obscene price of the carbon seal and how fragile it is. My 1st Gen Banks has that turbo... still does. It lasted 140K and was still in fine shape when torn down to freshen up. No sure I would have rebuilt it if it had major issues but...???

There is nothing wrong with the carbon seal, finding a replacement one that fits correctly and works is the problem. The diesel turbo doesnt need a carbon seal as it pumps only air.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking you might say. From What I heard, Banks had a lot of those turbos around from the gasser application, where the carbon seal was necessary, and that's what they used. I rean intoa guy with one from a similar era to mine and it doesn't have the carbon seal. I easily found the exact replacement but it was $25. The entire rest of the overhaul kit for the turbo was only $35.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the kit I wish I would have found for my truck.
Looks much easier to install unique and easier to to upgrade later on.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Sooo, maybe a dumb question, but the manifold is reversible, from side to side, right? How much would be involved in casting new manifolds off of an existing one? From there, twin turbos might be a breeze!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think these BAE turbo kits are the ones that used to advertise kits in the back of the old vintage car and driver magazine, along with a few other old auto magazines. I have a couple of these magazines sitting around, I'll have to see if I can find one and check it out.

Please do, i have tons of vintage mags but all mustang and fast fords and other strickly car mags.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the carbon seal, finding a replacement one that fits correctly and works is the problem. The diesel turbo doesnt need a carbon seal as it pumps only air.

Where is this carbon seal located on the turbo, i planned on atleast braking it down and cleaning/inspecting it before i tried it.. I'll probly need a seal kit or something, anyone know what i'll need.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooo, maybe a dumb question, but the manifold is reversible, from side to side, right? How much would be involved in casting new manifolds off of an existing one? From there, twin turbos might be a breeze!

Already thought of that, i mite take it to my local fab guy and ask how much to duplicate the manifold in header form.. Just curius to know incase it would crack:eek:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score

you can look at towcats investigation on having a intake tooled and a short run made. he was looking to try to get the per piece cost down to 200 while having someone on the inside casting it and eating some of the R&D costs. an exhaust manifold is larger and more complicated.........