What is this ignition switch part, and where should it go?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While pulling my steering wheel to get to the turn signal/flasher switch, I came across this dangling part. (the single black wire, just to the left of the dangling keys). I think it's supposed to attach to the ignition switch (perhaps to trigger a buzzer)? Anyway, everything works since I put it back together, including the cruise control and horn... so what is it and where does it belong? :dunno

You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That is for the buzzer for when the key is in the ignition, but engine not running and door open.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is for the buzzer for when the key is in the ignition, but engine not running and door open.
Good to know thanks! Grounding that wire didn't make anything buzz, so perhaps the buzzer has been removed too. Or does it have 12V applied to it from the switch (wouldn't think it'd be black though)...
Anyway I don't need it. I know where my keys are ;)

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
When it is grounded it should buzz. But I've seen them disconnected in the past.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I encountered a buzzer device I would disconnect it or take it out and save it for examination later...thinking about it now...they all should have gotten the sledge massage...

I equally despise chimes the OEMs have come up with...I traced down how to silence the one the GirlTruck had...disconnect the door speaker...

She did not notice it for months...heheh...

When I had the dash out of my '85...I found the connector in the harness that used to have a buzzer attached...someone beat me to it...

Why someone thought it was a good idea to disturb people with such an ugly sound...is beyond my comprehension...if it had been the sound of open headers on a V-8 at WFO it would have been a lot more heart-warming...

rvitko

Reaction score
On the off chance you want it working, the buzzer is a small white box up under the dash between the steering column and ash tray area. Usually it’s the foam that isolates the drum that makes the noise has rotted out so it’s muted by being stuck against the plastic shell, it can’t vibrate until you replace the foam