Rotomaster turbo set-up.

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a complete turbo set up today at work off a clunker 85 F250 truck. I had to cut the downtube into 3 pieces to get it out, but at least I have the flange and the pipe can be used as a pattern. I did not bring it home yet, and have not gotten any #'s off of it.;Sweet

Attachments

• Turbo3.jpg
    Turbo3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 63
  • Turbo2.jpg
    Turbo2.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Turbo1.jpg
    Turbo1.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Turbo.jpg
    Turbo.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 90

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On this one, the turbo sits more toward the middle, and the cross over tube from the pass side comes up right under it. Yes it is mounted on the drivers side of the engine.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
On this one, the turbo sits more toward the middle, and the cross over tube from the pass side comes up right under it. Yes it is mounted on the drivers side of the engine.

how does that thing hook back into the stock airbox?

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a hat on the intake like on a ghost tube, then the stock air filter is relocated forward more on another hat that has the black tube going into it. I will get better pictures tomorrow when I bring it home.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
oh ok well i never really seen somethin like that lol. i still have that setup with the manifold i posted and i thought about sending it to russ but i really dont want to spend the money on getting it fixed. i cant afford to have the truck down like i did before. my dream is to put that manifold back on there and weld a new flange to bolt an h1c to the manifold but hey i guess it happens when the funds are here. but for now the old girl does what i ask and gets me from point a to point b. i hate bein a broke college kid. dont have the time to commit to a full time job but need the funds from one.. lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Funny how this came up... Yesterday I found the same turbo on a truck in a wrecking yard. I have no way of posting it here so I sent Towcat the pic to his cell phone. He said he would post the pics here.....:dunno They really are an interesting item looking kinda funny on the exhaust manifold and all. The turbo was really bad... Lots of bearing slop. Probably killed the housing but still turned....

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This turbo still spun freely and had no side to side, worn out movement. I would still have it rebuilt, just to be safe. The intake tube had oil in it. I got all the pieces to it, took me about an hour to get out. I had the truck up on a forklift that helped, and my Matco 3/8 impact helped too. Ideally the turbo would unbolt, and the manifold would come out the bottom. I did not have the time to unbolt it, so I had to unbolt the steering shaft and pull it out through the top. I think if I would have cut the heat shielding off the downtube I could have pulled it out in one piece also. It had a pyrometer probe right bellow the turbo, and a short lenght of wire on it. I got the braided supply and drain lines also. The drain was in the oil pan right in front of the oil filter.

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pictures

The manifold says BAE on it. The turbo has an A/R 85 on it. And also Roto- Master Hi-Flo.

Attachments

• intakeside.jpg
    intakeside.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 16
  • exhaustside.jpg
    exhaustside.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 14
  • turbohat.jpg
    turbohat.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 24

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
If it was truly from a "clunker"... from the .gov program, I would flush those bearings out as best as possible to wash out any of the crap they put in the crankcase to get the engine to seize. Sounds like you might rebuild it anyways though.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that you said it had no play and such... but who knows how small those particles are and it would really suck if, even a few of them were enough to grenade an engine with enough time. Better safe than sorry.

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they put sodium siicate (liquid glass) in the engines. Although I noticed all the diesels we got in, most of them would still start, and had clean oil. :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online