Burning up fuel shut off solenoids.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that's a thought right there. My key switch has been janky for a bit and if I jump out of my truck in a hurry without checking, my stereo will still be on when I get back to it. It's only happened a couple times but it was on for 6-8hrs.......I bet that's our culprit! Good job @hacked89 !!!

I started to actually adjust the key switch earlier but I had to cook dinner, so I didn't want to marry a project.
Exactly what you said would do it. If you leave ignition on without fuel flow for even 20 minutes and feel the top of the IP it will be warm. That’s your solenoid crying.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naner Naner I don`t even need a key.

I did leave it turned on all night when I was working on something. The IP works ok, but the batteries sure didn`t.

Goat
A switch and a button would be fine with me. I'm not up to it today though.

Black dawg

Reaction score
A certain truck That I knew had several sol burn out. Truck was very nearly straight wmo all day every day.........

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on to something!

I was gonna go out and give my chinanoid a test drive today. I needed hay and what better way to find out if your chinanoid is worth its salt but by pulling a trailer of hay.
So i had it crunk up and idling and warming up made the call, made sure my hay man knew I was heading his way, kissed the wife, told the kids "I'll be back", and hit the ROAD!!!......at least the drive way, before it just died and plop..... nothing. Halfway down my driveway! DANG!

Left the key on popped the hood, unplugged and plugged the chinanoid....... nothing......no click! NO CLICK!!! bad ground? No power? What?

I grabbed a screw driver and poked the ground strap, nothing...... and then I got bold, I didn't want to walk back to the house and all I wanted to see was a spark. I touched the top of the post where the power goes in to the solenoid to the cap of the IP with my screwdriver and nothing! There was no power at the wire! I unplugged and plugged back in the janky 40yr old engine wiring harness connector. I got a click! I unplugged it and replugged it a couple more times hearing the same click and then I was on my way.

Conclusion: the bad connection probably caused the original one to go bad since there would have been some compromised electric flow. I know it was bad, because I tested it off the vehicle and it did nothing. The second one was probably fine, but the original one frying probably helped compromise the connector in such a way that the second solenoid only appeared bad. I can't remember testing it.

Out comes: #1.I got an authentic chinanoid
#2. I'm committed to inventing a homemade manual shut off.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the chinanoid made it 2 weeks. It died on me Monday. It was swollen up with goo coming out of it. I wasn't able to mess with it yet other than the roadside repair to get going. I'm not sure if it's getting too much voltage and frying them or what. I haven't checked it and really I'm absolutely committed to a mechanical shutoff now.

I really don't think it's WMO, I've done wmo for almost 4yrs now and this is a new phenomenon.

Anyway, updates coming. Next week, Lord willing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86