ZF5 tranny

Ncgomez65

Reaction score
I have a question about the ZF5 transmission.... Can the ZF5 tranny that was used with a 460 gas engine be used on a diesel. If it can, what all has to be done to make it work.
Thanks for any info on this

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This modification is known as the "typ4" mod as Russ (typ4 is his handle here) is the fella that came up with this 1st. He actually did the opposite.... he put a diesel ZF5 on the back of a 460. Anyway....... I used a 460 ZF5 on my 6.9 crew cab.... see below.....

Here are the "typ4" mods being made to the 460 ZF5: I used a drill press to make straight and true holes. The top two holes are in the same location and need to be drilled to 1/2 inch. Then bolt the diesel trans adaptor on the ZF5 to use as a template/guide for the other modifications.
You must be registered for see images

I used a 1/2 inch 4 fluted end mill to machine the diesel bolts holes. The reason for this is that a standard drill bit would drift toward the overlaping bolt holes in the bellhousing. The end mill with a drill press will machine the new holes straight and true.

See what I mean about the benefits of using an end mill:

Finished product:

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This modification is known as the "typ4" mod as Russ (typ4 is his handle here) is the fella that came up with this 1st. He actually did the opposite.... he put a diesel ZF5 on the back of a 460. Anyway....... I used a 460 ZF5 on my 6.9 crew cab.... see below.....

Here are the "typ4" mods being made to the 460 ZF5: I used a drill press to make straight and true holes. The top two holes are in the same location and need to be drilled to 1/2 inch. Then bolt the diesel trans adaptor on the ZF5 to use as a template/guide for the other modifications.

I used a 1/2 inch 4 fluted end mill to machine the diesel bolts holes. The reason for this is that a standard drill bit would drift toward the overlaping bolt holes in the bellhousing. The end mill with a drill press will machine the new holes straight and true.

Finished product:

Heath

My question Heath,

How does one know for certain they have the input shaft exactly centered with the crank? Dowels are in different locations right?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Gotta remove the dowels from the trans for the adaptor plate to fit on there before mods are started. I used the adaptor plate as a template for the dowel holes as well.

Heath

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Finished product:

Heath

Do you just copy and paste this reply or have you added a short cut to your keyboard yet?LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726