ZF5 Tranny down. 1992 F-250 HELP

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i drive 220 miles round trip meeting my dad and within a mile from the house on the way back, my input shaft bearing seizes. once the tranny cooled down it broke loose drags when the tranny is in neutral the truck tries to go backwards. is it a bent mainshaft or a bent fork. need help bad i miss the ol tarmac. would it be cheaper to find a new tranny or to go and rebuild it? and what would the probable causes be?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
If you were closer I'ld say buy mine but it needs new syncro's... sorry bout your luck and I'm not sure what that would be.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I always say if you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem! j/k

Input shaft bearing failure could be a wear problem or quite possibly a low fluid problem?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
low fluid/oil starvation.
has the truck been towed with the rear wheels on the ground in the recent past?
get a replacement trans, one that doesn't require a rebuildable core. yours unfortunately is junk.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yours unfortunately is junk.

I wouldnt say that so fast the tranny was slam full of ATF which i believe is what this tranny calls for. I emptied a lottle bit of the fluid and i really believe its due strictly to contaminants. it had no shavings but it was black. no tellin how long its been since its been changed. the only thing im wonderin is if the **** that owned it before me did add random fluid to the ATF at some point. and the input bearin is shot. whenever i get a chance to get back home and pick it up and bring it back down here to school im overhaulin it. shouldt be to bad from what ivve seen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726