Having problems installing zf5

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Good evening, I am having more than my share of difficulty installing a zf5 in my 87 6.9.
A little background-
My truck was a t19, but I decided last month to swap in the zf5 I have that was in an f super duty behind a 7.3 idi. I installed a luk clutch for the zf5 and used the dual mass fly wheel and clutch disc. I trimmed the lower lip/flange on the bottom of the firewall. I removed the whole exhaust system. I was having clutch alignment problems, but finally got that straight. 2 weeks ago my dad was lending me a hand, but ended up breaking his hand when the jack fell on him. It goes without saying that we've had a few setbacks, but after another shot at it this afternoon, it's still being stubborn as a mule and refuses to slide in all the way. The input shaft is lined up and in the clutch, but only in about a half an inch. I attempted to use studs in place of bolts to aid lining everything on the tranny, but I haven't gotten anywhere with that. More than likely it's just going to take a bit more finagling like I am figuring, especially since I am working on gravel, but I just wanted to check in with you guys to see if I have overlooked something stupid before I drive myself crazy. I am on the fence about greasing the input shift, due to the risk of getting any grease on the friction plate. Thanks in advance for any input and help

Rock

Ohiorandy

Reaction score
How far apart are the tranny and the motor?
May be a dumb question, but have you tried sliding the clutch onto the tranny input shaft. ( Would have to remove clutch from flywheel )

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
How far apart are the tranny and the motor?
May be a dumb question, but have you tried sliding the clutch onto the tranny input shaft. ( Would have to remove clutch from flywheel )
that was the first thing I did to be sure I had the right clutch. Slid right on. The tranny is still 2 1/2 inches away

Rock

Ohiorandy

Reaction score
I tried to add to my post but it doesn't look like it took. I am wondering about the throwout bearing still being in the correct location. It might have come loose and dropped onto the input shaft blocking the tranny from sliding to the motor. WAG.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I tried to add to my post but it doesn't look like it took. I am wondering about the throwout bearing still being in the correct location. It might have come loose and dropped onto the input shaft blocking the tranny from sliding to the motor. WAG.
I will double check the throwout bearing tomorrow, but I had previously made sure it didn't slip off before each time I raised the tranny up and slid it in. That would be nice if it just slipped off though. I'm getting sick of this.

Rock

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I mounted mine up but if you think you're hitting the splines then you can put the tranny in neutral and spin it a little to get the splines to line up. Might take some thought as to how to spin it with the driveshaft out as I am drawing a blank currently.

Also it can help to jack up the front of the engine a little bit to get a favorable angle, it will sit all wonky on the engine mounts all by itself.

Hope it goes better for you brother!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Put the transmission in gear. Then grab the output on the transfer case and spin it one direction or the other. This will cause the input shaft on the transmission to turn which will let you line up the splines on it with the splines in the clutch disc. That's my first guess. Naturally, have the transfer case in gear too. Any gear will do, just not in neutral. You will probably have to keep a little bit of pressure on the back of the transfer case like you're trying to push it up to the engine (which you're basically trying to do). If I'm right on this one, you'll feel the whole trans/transfer unit slide toward the fairly easily when the splines are lined up.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing to add. In my experience laying under a truck, especially outside, can get disorienting. Things can seem lined up, even, or straight even when they aren’t. If you get it up there and it won’t go any farther, stop and measure the distance between the bell housing and the back of the engine with a ruler or tape measure. Measure at 3, 9, and 12 o’clock. If you’ve got 2” at 3 and 9, and 2-1/2” at 12, you’d have a heck of a time getting it to slide in.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
One other thing to add. In my experience laying under a truck, especially outside, can get disorienting. Things can seem lined up, even, or straight even when they aren’t. If you get it up there and it won’t go any farther, stop and measure the distance between the bell housing and the back of the engine with a ruler or tape measure. Measure at 3, 9, and 12 o’clock. If you’ve got 2” at 3 and 9, and 2-1/2” at 12, you’d have a heck of a time getting it to slide in.
I think you're right. It's one big optical illusion every time I look at it. I was able to turn the tranny enough to get the holes lined up, but it definitely feels like the tail end needs to come up a ways. I may try jacking the rear up to help a little. I'm gonna pull those measurements this afternoon, and we'll see. Thanks

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Put the transmission in gear. Then grab the output on the transfer case and spin it one direction or the other. This will cause the input shaft on the transmission to turn which will let you line up the splines on it with the splines in the clutch disc. That's my first guess. Naturally, have the transfer case in gear too. Any gear will do, just not in neutral. You will probably have to keep a little bit of pressure on the back of the transfer case like you're trying to push it up to the engine (which you're basically trying to do). If I'm right on this one, you'll feel the whole trans/transfer unit slide toward the fairly easily when the splines are lined up.
The transmission is currently in gear, and I was using the output shaft of the transmission to turn the splines for lining up. The transfer case isn't on yet. Do you think I would be better off with the transfer case on? I figured it would be easier to put the transfer case on later, but I don't know now. Thanks

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Been a while since I mounted mine up but if you think you're hitting the splines then you can put the tranny in neutral and spin it a little to get the splines to line up. Might take some thought as to how to spin it with the driveshaft out as I am drawing a blank currently.

Also it can help to jack up the front of the engine a little bit to get a favorable angle, it will sit all wonky on the engine mounts all by itself.

Hope it goes better for you brother!
I may try jacking up the motor. I have been spinning the input shaft by turning the output shaft with the tranny in gear. Thanks

Rock

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I had the same issue a while back just to find out the alignment dowels from previous trans were still in the block. And one of the alignment dowels in the new transmission were still there as well. Was a simple mistake that costed me a day or so before my wife pointed it out to me.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I had the same issue a while back just to find out the alignment dowels from previous trans were still in the block. And one of the alignment dowels in the new transmission were still there as well. Was a simple mistake that costed me a day or so before my wife pointed it out to me.
I didn't think about that . I will have to check that out. Thanks

Rock

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant offer an help, but as someone who has no choice but to lay in the mud while working on my truck - I couldn’t be more sympathetic to the cause, and wish I could help. Out of curosity, how far is the truck in the air for you to be able to slide this under there and move it around? Just jack stand high? I’d like to see a picture if you have one.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I cant offer an help, but as someone who has no choice but to lay in the mud while working on my truck - I couldn’t be more sympathetic to the cause, and wish I could help. Out of curosity, how far is the truck in the air for you to be able to slide this under there and move it around? Just jack stand high? I’d like to see a picture if you have one.
I had blocks under the wheels, but mostly just because the bellhousing wouldn't slide under the truck. After sliding the trans under the truck, I lowered it back down, because it ended up being too high. Although it is now too low:frustrate.
It's tight under there

Rock
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online