ZF5 question

gdubyah76

Reaction score
What size metric socket fits the drain/fill plugs on these things? I'm going to have to buy one & don't have anything to measure it with. I haven't looked at the transfer case yet but is it metric as well?

Thanks

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they both are metric. I don't know the size, sorry.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Tcase drain is slightly different. Have you looked at it? It's a pipe type plug in believe. Takes a 3/8 drive ratchet.
On one of the zf's I had, it had one of those expandable rubber plugs for the drain plug. Lol worked well, didn't leak.

I saw someone say they thought the tcase drain was 3/4 npt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

gdubyah76

Reaction score
I've tried the SAE sockets I have but they didn't feel snug enough for my likings to yank on. Especially not since it looks to be an aluminum plug.

gdubyah76

Reaction score
I'll take a look at that t case drain tomorrow morning. I was planning on doing both while I was under there but wasn't smart enough to look for the plugs on it.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Tcase drain is slightly different. Have you looked at it? It's a pipe type plug in believe. Takes a 3/8 drive ratchet.
On one of the zf's I had, it had one of those expandable rubber plugs for the drain plug. Lol worked well, didn't leak.

I saw someone say they thought the tcase drain was 3/4 npt.

it's actually a female 10mm square, a 3/8" ratchet works close enough
it's 1/2" npt IIRC

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh. Lol
Always worked for me. Fit nice and tight.
I was thinking 3/4 npt sounded too big.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On this same thread.. anyone have a trick for getting the fill plug out?

Mine is super stuck, locked in.. steel plug in aluminum case, so if I get violent with it. it will rip the threads out of the case.. [no, no no no]...

With the fill plug stuck, I really can't check the oil level.. getting nervous on that..

F450.. ZF5 .. parking brake mounted on the rear of trans.. [Yes.. I did change the oil in the tail shaft recently.. it was terrible low also.. Known bearing failure item on ZF 5's with park brake, btw.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22mm for the drain and fill. 7/8 will work but is loose, if the drain plug has been beat on and flared out on the face 7/8 might be snug then.

On this same thread.. anyone have a trick for getting the fill plug out?

Mine is super stuck, locked in.. steel plug in aluminum case, so if I get violent with it. it will rip the threads out of the case.. [no, no no no]...

With the fill plug stuck, I really can't check the oil level.. getting nervous on that..

F450.. ZF5 .. parking brake mounted on the rear of trans.. [Yes.. I did change the oil in the tail shaft recently.. it was terrible low also.. Known bearing failure item on ZF 5's with park brake, btw.

Try tightening a little then back it off to get the plug moving. May seem counter intuitive and it doesn't all ways work but the majority of the time it does. I've gotten some really frozen bolts loose doing that. And by no means am I saying go half a turn, just enough to break the bond then back it out.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful when re-installing the drain plug on the transfer case. If you tighten it too tight it will crack the case and then you have a never ending oil leak. I would put some sort of sealer on the threads, and then install it will the least amount of torque you can get away with and not have it come loose or leak.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone wanna start the bi**h fest about sae and metric fasteners on one american truck?