ZF5 Overfilling any long term updates?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Did a search, we seem split on whether or not overfilling the zf5 is a good idea both in terms of causing problems, and whether or not it helps. Does anybody have any long term updates on the subject?

I am considering overfilling mine to help with the gear rollover. My 4 banger is way "spikier" than my 8 ever was.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribing. I tried the synchromax from royal purple.. It helped. But I'm honestly ready to switch back to DMF

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have mine overfilled with a synthetic of some kind(can't remember what brand now) never helped the rollover noise one bit. It doesn't bother me much. The rattle in neutral at an idle bugs me big time. I have put many miles on over filled ZF's with NO ill effects in regards to reliability, leaking etc. I do swear by synthetic in them however, helps out with worn syncros which they all seem to develop over time

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know the cummins have more vibrations, but for the people with 6.9's, 7.3's, etc, must just have some very worn transmissions or out of balance injectors.
The 7.3 idi I had a SMF iirc, no crazy noises. Same trans is now in my psd, also SMF, no noises.

Far as overfill, recently someone had said it's bad. Might have been in my bw1356 thread.
I don't have a opinion either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Good call on the injection system playing a roll in rattle; I haven't had much luck quieting it down however moving either way off of 9 degrees BTDC. And new BB codes. but I may just need to work harder at it.
And F350camper, one thing that I have since thought of is the smell of ATF that escapes through the shifter seems to become slightly stronger. Doesn't bother me much at all as I rarely ever catch a wiff, but it may bother some.... Just a thought

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trans only has 70 something thousand on it. I would hope it isn't wore yet. I did notice the clutch fork vibrates and moves more at idle when I swapped in a smf clutch kit

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
...or out of balance injectors. ...

I didnt think of this. Good call for sure. On my IDI when I went to a SMF I also happened to be doing a new long block, and new injectors and a rebuilt ip all at the same time. I had 0 rollover that I could detect.

Fast forward to now. I have an industrial cummins 4 banger that wasn't balanced from the factory like the 6bts were, with an unknown history on the block and fuel system. Coupled with the fact that on a 4 banger, you only get two explosions per crank rotation, where an 8 cyl you get 4.

So my rollover noise at idle in neutral with my foot off the clutch really isn't all that surprising.

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was afraid of roll over noise too when I swapped from DMF to SMF (LUK kit) but to my surprise there is absolutely nothing the hear or feel. :dunno
I used Mercon V and it's a bit over filled.
Truck has 231000 miles on it ... synchros are worn out on 1, 2, 5 I think.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I have overfilled a few of mine. Don't recall noticing a difference in rollover noise. No change in failure rate, all my failures have been case or tailhousing fractures. Those seem to have slowed down since installing a solid motor mount on drivers side.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed tonight when winding it up getting on the interstate towing 8500lbs, when your in 2nd 3rd or 4th gear, once you hit 2500 rpms there's a loud rattling sound under acceleration . Let off too 2300 and it quits. Wonder if the input shaft bearing is shot. I'd hate to think it is with such low miles

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I bought my truck in April with a freshly rebuilt ZF5 and a dying DMF. When I swapped to the SMF I drained the fluid since the guy said he only filled it once. I poured in an entire gallon of Valvoline dex/merc (red jug) and a bottle of Lucas transmission fluid additive and get very little noise off idle or when accidently lugging it. No other noises or smells or anything, just some noise from the throw out bearing some the clutch fork looks like it was installed incorrectly at one point and has wear grooves on it. It stops when I barely press the clutch pedal. And I definitely have injector tick.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then it's out of balance straight from the box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Doesn't surprise me, when i opened the box the flywheel had made in china stamped on it... Who even knows if its drilled true. You'd think a clutch hub with 9 springs would dampen any roll over noise buts its horrible. I hate it.. Fk'n junk