ZF5 out of '97 F-250

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok one of my friends has 1997 F-250 five speed with the 5.8 EFI, the truck threw a rod and he said he would sell me the tranny for 300 if it is a ZF5. I am pretty sure it is, but the only other problem is his truck is a 2wd. Would this swap be possible? And how different is the gas ZF compared to the diesel ZF?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This transmission is of no use to you with your truck. The bellhousing is wrong for your engine and the rear output of the trans also will not work for a 4x4. Other than that the gears are different than a diesel transmission, the gas trans would be a wide ratio, but that doesn't really matter because it won't mate up to your engine or transfer case.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at your avatar there and was trying to figure out exactly what was going on in that picture. Do you Tug Pull the old tractor or is it just a show tractor. Tug pulling is also deadweight pulling or stone boat pulling, if it is called something different there. I have several old tractors myself but they are all another color, I used to pull my old M in the dead weight pulls and then went to the weight transfer classes. It sure is a blast, I am hoping to get back into it more next year with my M since I have done a lot of engine work to it this year.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crash86 and I restored that tractor for a friend and for our school project. It is a 1937 John Deere Unstyled A and it will only be a show tractor.